Slow start off the line
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Slow start off the line in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have no immediate acceleration off the line, like it goes, but I couldn't lay any rubber if I tried, ...
    nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Slow start off the line

I have no immediate acceleration off the line, like it goes, but I couldn't lay any rubber if I tried, I did a bit of the Google, and I found this link and this link

Does this make any sense to any one? Would my TCM be going or is gone? What else could be causing this?

Also I found out that a piston is misfiring, could this be the issue with the acceleration not being there ? Also the plugs and spark plug wires have all be changed recently with new ones. How do I fix a misfire ? is it fixable ? Should I start parting this car out ?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Re: Slow start off the line

Hay, I can only tell you what I did, it may work for you or may not, check and replace the fuel filter first, if that dosnt do it than the fuel pump, as far as the missfire, did you replace the Ignition Coil, when you did the sparks and wires, they all should be repace at the same time.

best of luck

nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Thanks for the information I will look into getting the fuel stuff figured out first before I go ripping into the engine, the last guy I got it from said as soon as it misfired on him he replaced all the 'plugs and wires' so I'm assuming he did not replace the ignition coil as it should have been.

Now is it best to replace all ignition coils even though one piston misfires? Is this precautionary fixing? or would I be better off to replace them one by one as they misfire?

But otherwise it should have some good pick up off the line? I'm not wanting to do mega burnouts or anything, I just want some decent acceleration off the line.

Also for the transmission would one of these help with the slow changing of gears (mainly 1-2nd gear.) I would like to take care of this car as much as I can with preventative replacement and what not.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

the slow shifting from 1 to 2 is a easy fix, and is common, it needs a trans fluid change, and filter change, here,s what I did, I got the car leveled between the street and my driveway, got under the car, remove the tran pan, clean it, replace the filter, then got a hose that screws on quart bottles at autozone, and had someone hole the bottle upside down in the air while I put the other end in the drain pug, fill it up till it started to come out, then screw the plug in but not tight, started the car, move the stick shift up and down all gears then turn off the car and check the level again at the drain plug, if it need more I added, if it leak, I let it till it stop, remember the tran holes 7 quarts, you only replace about 1/2 that amount when you do this, ( about 3 1/2 quarts) the rest is in the tran, so I did this 3 times over 3 weekends and my tran runs smooth.
    One big note, you MUST have the car leveled when doing this, I got a long leveler and lay it on top of the car, center, its as close as I could get it without going to a shop

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.