New brakes all around
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, New brakes all around in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So I ordered some new brakes for the whip, got new rotors and pads coming, so I went to the ...
    nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

New brakes all around

So I ordered some new brakes for the whip, got new rotors and pads coming, so I went to the garage close to me and they want 85$ a hour to replace the brakes all around, and it will take each wheel one hour + if the bushings and what not are rusty and etc, it will take one and a half hours, so this comes to 425$, would it be easier if I just did it? and if so can I use the jack in the trunk to complete the job? I would hate to have to spend that amount of money on something that seems and looks to be relativity easy to do, So I guess my real question is, would it be able to be done by a amateur with only the guidance of the Google?

I found some easy '"howto's" about it
    Video showing how to do it
    Rear brakesl
    All around

Now on one of the links I just posted it gives a list of tools I will need.
    Is this accurate?

Turkey baster, Jack stands, Rubber hose, C-clamp and a Ratchet wrench

notice how it says jack stand, is this the same jack in my trunk?

any more links some of you might have feel free to share them

OH and what about calipers? should I be replacing those to with the new rotors and pads?
    and brake fluids? is there specials kinds for the Catera, or are all brake fluids pretty much standard for all vehicles?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by nethic
    I went to the garage close to me and they want 85$ a hour to replace the brakes all around, and it will take each wheel one hour
    An hour per wheel??? Do the mechanics stand on their hands and work with their feet?

+ if the bushings and what not are rusty and etc, it will take one and a half hours,
    Slide pin bushings? They take about a minute to replace, there are 2 per caliper.

^^^If it isn't obvious after those two statements, don't go back to that shop.^^^

would it be easier if I just did it?
    It would be cheaper.

and if so can I use the jack in the trunk to complete the job?[/QUOTE]That's an EMERGENCY jack. It was designed to lift the car high enough to change a tire, a handful of times throughout the vehicles life. It's really not a good Idea to use it as a service jack. IF it lifts high enough for you to be able to get a jack stand under there, then it should be fine for a brake job, but DON't get into the habit of using it on a regular basis.

I would hate to have to spend that amount of money on something that seems and looks to be relativity easy to do, So I guess my real question is, would it be able to be done by a amateur with only the guidance of the Google?
    A brake job is relatively easy, but, brakes are THE most important system on your car. I can not, and will not say that some Googling is sufficient training. Normally, I would never recommend a Haynes or Chiltons repair manual, but for a brake job walkthrough, they're worth the ~$20. If you are in ANY WAY unsure of your abilities, DO NOT attempt the job.

Now on one of the links I just posted it gives a list of tools I will need.
    Is this accurate?

Turkey baster, Jack stands, Rubber hose, C-clamp and a Ratchet wrench
    That's a partial list. Do you have any tools?

notice how it says jack stand, is this the same jack in my trunk?
    NO! Jack stands are placed under the vehicle, after it is jacked up. NEVER USE ONLY A JACK TO SUPPORT A VEHICLE, ESPECIALLY if you're using an emergency jack.

OH and what about calipers? should I be replacing those to with the new rotors and pads?
    Calipers only need to be replaced or rebuilt if they're leaking, or the piston is seizing.

and brake fluids? is there specials kinds for the Catera, or are all brake fluids pretty much standard for all vehicles?
    There are different types of brake fluid. Most cars, including yours, use DOT 3.

If you have some basic mechanical ability, I'd say between a cheap repair manual, and this site (NOT Google), you would be able to tackle the job yourself.

Re: New brakes all around

Thanks for that great information, I don't plan on going back to that shop now that it does seem like they are potential crooks I'm looking for a mechanic on kijiji in my area, it will only cost me a box of beer and some 'smoke' to get the job done hopefully, us Canadians work for just aboot any thing

Found a pretty cheap pair of 04 GTO calipers with hoses and the mounts included on ebay, now when I was browsing the catera classifieds on here I noticed someone had bought the same 'LS1 04 GTO' Calipers and they didn't fit, now is this guy off his rocker or do they actually not fit ? I'm planning on doing the brake upgrade for the Catera but not sure if 98 would be able to be swapped out for the gto calipers.

Anyone else use these kind of calipers before ?

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have a 98 Catera and here is my upgrade details with post from others.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...e-upgrade.html

Thanks.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.