Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Volt? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Question; At night, when am driving, have my lights on, heater on, rear defroster on, and when I come to ...
- 11-26-12 02:35 PM #1Awaiting Email Confirmation
- Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera
- Join Date
- May 2012
At night, when am driving, have my lights on, heater on, rear defroster on, and when I come to a stop my volt meter drops to around 10 volts, just above the red line, my lights dim, but when I start driving it goes up to 11 to 12 volts, is this normal or should I look into a new alternator?
- 11-26-12 07:30 PM #2
I'd clean the electrical GROUNDS first.
- 11-26-12 10:54 PM #3Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
- Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera
- Join Date
- Nov 2005
Also, check your battery especially if it is old. A battery that won't fully charge or that has a short can make an alternator work awfully hard to keep up the voltage.
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- STP - Oil Treatment
Oil Treatment - High Mileage Oil TreatmentMore on STP - Oil Treatment
- PowerTorque Tools - SAE Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
SAE Ratchet Handle & Socket Set - 14 Piece; 1/4" Drive Ratchet Handle & Socket Set
- Power Service Products Diesel Fuel Supplement +Cetane Boost - Diesel Fuel Treatment
Diesel Fuel Treatment - 1:400 Treatment Ratio; Treats Up To 40 Gallons; 16 Oz.