Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Volt? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Question; At night, when am driving, have my lights on, heater on, rear defroster on, and when I come to ...
- 11-26-12 01:35 PM #1Awaiting Email Confirmation
- Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera
- Join Date
- May 2012
At night, when am driving, have my lights on, heater on, rear defroster on, and when I come to a stop my volt meter drops to around 10 volts, just above the red line, my lights dim, but when I start driving it goes up to 11 to 12 volts, is this normal or should I look into a new alternator?
- 11-26-12 06:30 PM #2
I'd clean the electrical GROUNDS first.
- 11-26-12 09:54 PM #3Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
- Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera
- Join Date
- Nov 2005
Also, check your battery especially if it is old. A battery that won't fully charge or that has a short can make an alternator work awfully hard to keep up the voltage.
+ Reply to Thread
Gear in this thread - Powered by O'Reilly Auto Parts
- PowerTorque Tools - Stubby Hex Bits Socket Set
Stubby Hex Bits Socket Set - 9 Piece; 1/4" & 3/8" Drive; SAE Stubby Hex Bit Socket Set; Contains: 1/4" Drive: 1/4", 5/16" & 3/8", 3/8" Drive: 7/16", 1/2", 9/16", 5/8", 11/16" & 3/4"
- PowerTorque Tools - Crowfoot Wrenches
Crowfoot Wrenches - 9 Pcs 3/8" Dr Crowfoot Wrench Set - Metric
- PowerTorque Tools - Long Reach Pliers
Long Reach Pliers - 11" Straight Long Reach Pliers