Omega Bodykits on Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree2Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Omega Bodykits on Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Quick question, I recently acquired a catera for a project car, I'm wondering, would the Opel omega body kits fit ...
    nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Omega Bodykits on Catera

Quick question, I recently acquired a catera for a project car, I'm wondering, would the Opel omega body kits fit the catera, or would heavy modification be needed to attach said body kits? Also what transmissions are able to be swapped into the catera also what about converting it to standard from automatic? or to much trouble? I keep seeing GTO this and that but I'd prefer not to build a frankencar, also what engine enhancements can I do ? I got a performance/economy chip for it and cold air intake(soon to be turbo/supercharger when I get a different transmission) Would love to pimp this car out but can't find much direction online about doing so. any help or information or pointers from work people have done in this area i'm asking about would be awesome.

Thanks guys

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Ludacrisvp is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 08 STS4 V8 F55 1SG Euro tails & 01 Monte SS Pace Car
    Isn't the catera mostly a 4 dr GTO w/ no power? (no offense intended by the lack of power comment)

Re: Omega Bodykits on Catera

No worries, the lack of power doesn't bother me at all, and I'm not sure if its the same body kits as the GTO (tbh there is so many GTO models of various cars that I wouldn't know were to start)
    I've been looking at opel omega b body kits for it, but all have to be shipped from EU (poland they seem to be a big hit) if someone could give me the exact model of GTO I can use then I'lll have no problems finding what I need, Just need the yr/model of GTO to grab from.

Thanks for the reply.

----------

Is this the kind of GTO you are talking about ?

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by nethic View Post
    Quick question, I recently acquired a catera for a project car, I'm wondering, would the Opel omega body kits fit the catera, or would heavy modification be needed to attach said body kits? Also what transmissions are able to be swapped into the catera also what about converting it to standard from automatic? or to much trouble? I keep seeing GTO this and that but I'd prefer not to build a frankencar, also what engine enhancements can I do ? I got a performance/economy chip for it and cold air intake(soon to be turbo/supercharger when I get a different transmission) Would love to pimp this car out but can't find much direction online about doing so. any help or information or pointers from work people have done in this area i'm asking about would be awesome.

Thanks guys
    Cateras and Omegas of coresponding model years are identical except for interiors and front/rear fascias. Omega kits fit Cateras with no problems. GTO/Monero kits do not fit.

The GTO is a Vauxhall/Holden Monaro. The Monaro is based on a Holden Commodore which is based on a widened Vauxhall Omega. While there are similarities a GTO is not a Catera.

Transmissions? It can be done but I don't know of anyone who has here. Lots of fabrication needed to move pedals from right to left sides plus making room on the firewall for the clutch master cylinder and linkage.

Performance chips for th Omega won't work. Our CPUs are different.

Some have started V8 transplants but few have finished them. 3800 V6 transplants too. Search the archives for more answers.

Suspension and brakes are your best for more performance. Read more on our sister site:
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...pgrades-part-1
    http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...aking-upgrades
    nethic and nethic like this.

Thanks for the information, this makes it allot easier now that I know which kits fit and which don't. as for the transmission, I'll keep searching for information on whats able to be swapped/modified, the performance chip I got is for the catera so not worried about that.

Thanks for the reply, has cleared up some things for me.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Performance "chips" just alter the signal from the IAT sensor, making the engine run too rich, putting both performance and economy DOWN. Same thing with cold air intakes, with the filter located under the hood. Those are in fact HOT air intakes, and they REDUCE power.

BTW,

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by Ludacrisvp View Post
    Isn't the catera mostly a 4 dr GTO w/ no power? (no offense intended by the lack of power comment)
    Your honest. It is under powered or weighs too much. Your choice!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Great links.

Thank you

----------

The suspension tune up i'm really looking forward to.

Wow just got a email back from Cadillac for inquiring on prices for basic fluids changes and I was blown away by what the lady said

'Oil changes on most Cadillacs ( 6L capacity) using Castrol Synthetic oil starts at $89.95 + tx. If you are looking to replace the transmission fluid, it would not be
    synthetic fluid, it would cost 199.95 + tx for transmission service ( includes fluid, filter and labour). We do not have the listing for the capacities on this vehicle-not
    much information available due to year of vehicle'

Is it easy for one to change the tranny fluids them selfs ? or is this not wise for a car newbie ( been doing IT Security for so long never had a chance to learn anything about cars lol )

I was also disappointed about Cadillac not knowing the information on this Catera, very disappointing Cadillac (waves fingers)

Jaeger63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

A dealer actually said that? That's amazing. You'd think they'd want you to be in the habit of going there for when you're ready to upgrade. I'm always amazed that dealers don't seem very interested in winning the service business for their older cars.

Oil changes and basic maintenance are easy for an IT geek to learn. There's a plethora of info, how-to's, youtube tutorials and detailed technical info available for those willing to do a little searching and learning. A basic set of tools is required, of course.

Automatic transmissions are a little more complicated, but a basic fluid and filter change isn't beyond the abilities of a typical shade-tree mechanic.

----------

A how-to for automatic transmission fluid and filter change is here:
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90664.0

A guide for an oil change is in this thread:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...era-sport.html

Since it's a Euro car it's full of Torx fasteners, cartridge filters and some other oddities compared to the usual domestics. But it's nothing to be afraid of.

Great links! Thank you, I brought it into the shop today to get a mechanical done on it so I could get it safetyed and put on the road, found out I need both real coil springs and a few other minor things like lights and etc small stuff easily fixed. Also the mechanic at the shop I was referred to by the guy I purchased the car from didn't want to do any kind of work on it what so ever. little odd I thought but whatever I found a place that will work on it, so I looked online for some rear coils cause the dealership wants 930$ for a pair not including labor and I found them for $50 each at a wrecking yard, funny thing is the guy was like 'oh we just got a pair of those in' with much excitement in his voice (maybe was his first sale of the day) he said he would test them and bus them up to me (overnight be here tomorrow) probably gonna cost me 150-170$ to get them, the place i found to do work on the catera is going to charge me 120-150$ to put them on. any ways the lights for the transmission came on last night and put the car in limp mode I did some google-fu and found that the rear coils could of been the reason why and now since the car was on a lift today and basically stretched the car out ( if that makes any sense) the lights are both off. So I'm hoping the rear coil fix will stop it from doing that again. I'm hoping its not something with the transmission. I spoke to the previous owner and he said the transmission was recently checked and leveled off, so I guess I have to take his word for it.

Priced out some of those body kits, gonna cost around $200 or so shipping from the uk to canada but the kit is like 300$ so I'm laughing there. A autobody shop in town here wanted like 1200$ or something for just the front and back bumper no flair or side skirts.

But so far I am enjoying the car and its many rich features.

----------

Also, was the 1998 made in EU or Mexico? I know it isn't from the US.

----------

And like I said in my previous post, the guy at the dealership in there auto parts department had a hell of a time finding the rear coils I was on hold for around 15 or so minutes, he came back on the line 'those where really buried in there sir' I chuckled then he told me the price, thanks click! thank god for google

The car was made in Germany and sold in reasonable quantities as an Opel or Vauxhall Omega in Europe. Since only about 90k were sold over 5 years in North America things like aftermarket springs are a little scarce. Glad you found some.

So it's safe to say, any kind of Opel/Vauxhall Omega esthetics, i.e lights and etc would simply be snap on?

They should, yes. There was a thread somewhere that showed a guy who got a bunch of Omega bits - grill, badges, etc, and put them on his Catera. It really is a rebadged German car with some tuning changes and chassis bracing added. I'm pretty sure all the sheet metal is the same.

Update: Here is the rebadged Catera to Omega:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...era-omega.html
    nethic and nethic like this.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.