Need help!!! did the bypass hcv mod and now i dont get heat
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By gvjv3
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Need help!!! did the bypass hcv mod and now i dont get heat in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hi guys, here is what the problem is..had a coolant leak and it was the heater control valve so what ...
    rruff98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Need help!!! did the bypass hcv mod and now i dont get heat

hi guys, here is what the problem is..had a coolant leak and it was the heater control valve so what i did is remove the hcv and did a bypass using T connector (followed the post here) and it fixed the leak but now i dont have any heat inside the cabin its blowing cold air, when it was leaking its still blowing hot air. and also my aux heat pump (located under the coolant reservoir) doesnt work is this pump supposed to pump coolant thru the heater core? the 2 heater hose connected to it does not heat up at all and when i followed the hose one goes to the heater goes and the other one to the hcv (bottom). could i just remove the aux pump and just directly hook it up to the heater core? any help or suggestions would be great. thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Need help!!! did the bypass hcv mod and now i dont get heat

You're kidding us, right? You remove and bypass the assembly that controls the cabin temperature and then wonder why you have no heat? If you live in an area where you needed heat eventually why didn't you just replace the HBV instead of yanking it? That valve controls the flow of hot coolant through the heater core according to the setting of the temperature selector on the dash's HVAV. Solution? Buy a HBV and install it.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

He,s right, without the HCV, when you turn on the heat, it inturns turns on the pump them inturns opens the bypass value, and there's senors everywhere to check temperture , by puting a T the coolant just flows to the T then back to the engene, not going to the inside. oh alittle will go but not enough to heat inside,
    investor74 and investor74 like this.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Look at his location.................Tucson Arizona.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Just to expand on what gvjv3 said, the heater bypass valve (heater control valve) doesn't actually control the temperature of the heater. The bypass valve is like a switch that directs the flow to the heater, or when the A/C is on full, it directs the hot water back to the engine so that the cold air is not competing with a hot heater core. By putting in a T, you are splitting the flow, so only some of the hot water gets to the heater all the time, although I would guess that there is more back pressure in the water flow through the heater core, so most of the hot water would take the easier path to the engine, thus no heat. Water would just rather flow back to the engine through a nice thick hose than the passages of a heater core that may already be partially blocked in a car this old.

You either want to put a new HCV in (better), or get a nipple and connect the heater up permanently, forgetting about the bypass feature. Your A/C may not get as cold that way.

that was my purpose is to completely bypass the HCV...also just found out that my aux heat pump is not working so this will make it more hard for the coolant to flow thru the heater core. im also thinking maybe doing a manual switch for the flow of the coolant to the heater core (have to check in home depot) so this way i can turn off the coolant going thru the heater core in summmer and turn it back on again in winter.

its fixed now i get heat. it was my aux heat pump thats not working pick one up at the junk yard and its all wrking now.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.