replaced the cps, still won't start
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, replaced the cps, still won't start in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello. I've been having issues with my 2001 cadillac catera not starting. It will crank just fine, just wont start. ...
    devin28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 catera

replaced the cps, still won't start

Hello. I've been having issues with my 2001 cadillac catera not starting. It will crank just fine, just wont start. The issue has been going on about 3 weeks now. I was leaving work one night and it didn't start. I got a ride home, came back the next day and it started just fine. That lasted about 3 days. Finally got it to start one day and it ran really rough. Shut it off and tried it again, nothing. I have been trying to almost daily and it still wont start. I replaced the fuel filter and the cps and was hoping for a difference. Still nothing. Any help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Before you throw any more parts at it, have your codes pulled, and check for spark and fuel pressure.

Sontov is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Re: replaced the cps, still won't start

Im having a similar problem but by car will not even crank over. New battery - power 12v to the starter-- checked with a multimeter and power/12v at the alternator... Im lost please assist.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

try the crankshaft senor, it's right next to the oil filter

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Did you measure 12 volts with the key in the start position (I.e. under load) Even a totally bad battery can measure 12 volts without a load. Just last week, on our other car, I had an argument about the warranty on my battery when the car wouldn't start. They kept insisting it must be my starter, etc because they measure 12 volts. Of course, when they finally gave in and replaced the battery, the car started right up.

Check and clean you connections and remember even a new battery can be bad.

Sontov is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

yes, I had the key rockered to the ON/start position... I have power to the dashboard, lights, etc... except, I noticed that the OIL/PSI needle is the only needle that doesnt move on the dash. 12V at the starter and alternator; checked and cleaned the oil pressure sensor and the oil pressure switch... and still, I get no action out of the starter... could it be that the Starter Solenoid is bad? Can I just replace the soleniod? or do I have to replace the whole starter unit?. If so, gosh - I cant even get a wrench up under there!~ geez - how does one remove the starter on this car?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.