Cadillac Owners Forum banner
987 views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  Vesicant 
#1 ·
Hi, just wanted to ask you fellas a question. I am looking to buy a 2000 catera tomorrow and I wanted to know if its worth buying with all these leaking valve cover and the mixing of the coolant and oil. Its got 42,512 miles on it, sport package, fully loaded for $10,700 out the door with everything(plus 4 new tires). Its got a 90 day, 3,000 mile warranty. Please let me know if I should join the catera group.

Thanks

#3 ·
My opinion:

If you want a car, that is just as reliable as any other German car right now (yes, even BMW and Mercedes) - a car that performs, handles, rides, looks and feels as good as any other top notch German automobile... but for half the price. The Catera is the way to go. The money you saved can go against any repairs you may have to make. It wouldnt even equal the price a used BMW or Mercedes that need repairs.

The only problems ive had (2000 Catera bought used w/ 35000 mi):

Purchase: Mass Airflow Sensor (Covered- Used car lot 30 day warranty)

44-45k: Weeping-not leaking Right side valve cover (Cadillac Warranty Covered).

46k - EBTCM replacement - faulty. (Covered under warranty insurance since it just expired). Not seen many cases of this happening.

In the end, it is truely your decision. 2000 and 2001 were good years. And with any used car, most need help reguardless.

#4 ·
So basically what your saying is that the catera arent as bad as people make them out to be? I read lots of reviews on them and almost 70 percent of the review were bad. Most of them also had 97-99 so I really am confused here. I dont want to but a car(first car)and have to fix it every other day. I test drove the car and fell in love with it, and for the price there really isnt anything in its class that can beat it. The car is pulling to the left a little because it had mismatched tires and needs an aliment, which the dealership is taking car of. There is also a slight humming or vibrations coming from the front right suspension, which I hope is fixable.

Anyways, everybodys comments appreciated.

#5 ·
You're going to love this car. You may have an occasional issue, but the '00 & '01s seem to be pretty reliable. The '99s are sort of in the middle. Stay away from '97 & '98s.

We have a '99 with 72k on it. I do most of my own work so repair cost is not too bad for me. So far we've had an antifreeze leak that I thought was the oil cooler cover. It turned out that the cover had been sealed already, but the mechanic that did it squashed and broke the rubber washers on the water crossover when he put it back together. It was about 3 hrs work including running out and finding new washers.

The low coolant sensor stopped working and is on all the time. The coolant tank has to be replaced to fix it. And occasionally the trans light will come on and the trans will not shift. We pull over, shut it off for a few minutes, then it's fine. I'm told it's probably the park/nuetral safety switch.

It needs front pads, but then that's just maintenance stuff. The front end is also way out of alignment. But I can live that for a little while yet. All in all, even given what I've seen so far, it's a great car.

#6 ·
Well im going in about 30 minutes to finaliize my deal. Can anybody tell me what to look at the last time before I buy it? How can I tell if the oil cooler is going bad or coolant is mixing with oil Thanks everybody for your help and hope to be a part of the forum soon.

Thanks again for everybodies help.

#7 ·
Check the oil fill valley and cap for what looks like a whiteish/brownish goo.

Check for any discoloration or build up in the coolant reserve tank (if youve test driven it, caution - it holds pressure- release the cap slowly). A peanutbutter consistantcy build up may be possible.

Ask the dealer if anything has been replaced along the lines of that, if they know. Any service records, etc. Get them. Ask if the oil or coolant has been changed.

Another thing to check for which is non oil cooler related, but valve cover. Look down at the bottom of the car.. behind the front wheels and near the middle of the front door. See what looks like two bolts sticking down from a bell housing. IF there is oil hanging on the bolts or in the engine compartment there is oil run off from the side of the cylinder head then thats a sign of it needing valve cover or cover gaskets.

#8 ·
With respect to JeffreyG, do not buy any year catera. I have a $ 500 deposit on my 97 Catera and I am holding my breath until it's out of my life. It's so, so expensive to maintain and so, so unreliable. Why would you put yourself in such a situation. With fewer and fewer catera's left, repairing the beast will only get worst. Buy a car you can love and yes even drive. The name Toyota comes to mind. Good luck.

#9 ·
Toyota=yawn

No thanks. Even as I'm in the process of replacing a dead 98 engine, I would never consider a Toyota sedan.

Wow, getting sleepy just talking about it.
Go for the 2000. It will be just as reliable as any other sporty sedan. Most of the problems have been worked out by that year.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.