2000 catera charging system issues
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 catera charging system issues in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, this is my first time on the board as a member, I have gotten a lot of useful ...
    roadsidesaint is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 catera

2000 catera charging system issues

Hello all, this is my first time on the board as a member, I have gotten a lot of useful information in the past and I'm hoping maybe someone can point me in the right direction on a new issue I'm having.

I recently bought a 2000 catera. For the first 2 days the car ran perfectly. However, after those 2 days it has been nothing but issues. there is a valve cover gasket leak which i am going to fix this afternoon, that allowed the 2,4,6 spark plug tubes to fill with oil. the boots were ripped on the coil, so i am also replacing that, and the plugs.

but the real issues is the charging system...

after turning the car off or letting it sit for a few minutes, or even WHILE DRIVING, the battery light comes on, most the dash lights come on, and the car while loose its charge completely, leaving it dead and me stranded. If i just touch jumper cables to it, it starts right back up, and dies all over again.

i have replaced the alternator already. the one i pulled off was a duralast reman, so i know im not the only one who had this same problem with this vehicle. the battery is under a year old according to autozone, and passed all tests. i replaced with another duralast reman alternator, disconnected the battery overnight, and came back to a functional car the next day. Untill about 20 minutes later. the issue started all over again, and I dont know where to start now. I have seem some people blame the k-134 MFR, but when i pulled it, i couldnt see any issues with it. (though im not the best versed in electronics)

any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated, and im sorry for the long winded post. in the mean time ill be out in the garage

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Auto Zone parts are complete junk. I wouldn't be surprised if the new one is bad. Have you had the charging voltage checked?

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: 2000 catera charging system issues

We've had our Catera for 16 years and there was a stretch of about 3 years where we were playing "musical alternators". There is an awful lot of junk out there being sold as remanufactured alternators.

Get it tested and verify that it is charging. If you belong to AAA, they will come out to your house. If it is charging, you can go from there.

If is is charging, you can check the positive and negative battery cables.

Thanks guys, I will do that tonight, and find a better alternator! Any suggestions if it isn't charging? replace the alternators again? does anyone have a picture of what the battery and its cables should look like? I have a feeling someone rewired this thing poorly. Also, would oil dripping onto the alternator cause it to fail? I fixed the valve cover gaskets, so hopefully the oil drips should be solved.

Thanks again for all the help!

Thanks guys, I will do that tonight, and find a better alternator! Any suggestions if it isn't charging? replace the alternators again? does anyone have a picture of what the battery and its cables should look like? I have a feeling someone rewired this thing poorly. Also, would oil dripping onto the alternator cause it to fail? I fixed the valve cover gaskets, so hopefully the oil drips should be solved.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The drips will return if you didn't clean the crankcase breather box. When clogged the internal pressure will build and spray oil past the gaskets. Search this forum for more info or look at:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...604#msg1155604

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    The drips will return if you didn't clean the crankcase breather box. When clogged the internal pressure will build and spray oil past the gaskets. Search this forum for more info or look at:

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...604#msg1155604

thank you very much, i am starting this project and installing a new alternator right now. will keep everyone up to speed as i continue!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.