New catera owner really need help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, New catera owner really need help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Just bought a 2000 catera very clean chrome wheels, sunroof, and a rear window shade. But oil and antifreeze are ...
    98Geldog is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 eldorado, 2000 Catera

New catera owner really need help

Just bought a 2000 catera very clean chrome wheels, sunroof, and a rear window shade. But oil and antifreeze are mixing car is smoking coolant light on . Not knowledgable about this engine. Any help will be greatly appreciated thanks.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Jaeger63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: New catera owner really need help

That sounds like either a blown head gasket or a leaking oil cooler that is allowing the oil to mix with the coolant. Obviously you don't want to drive it like that until it's fixed and has fresh fluids. Coolant doesn't lubricate and oil doesn't cool, so running it like that will ruin the engine.

Not driving it only when I bought it but looking to repair it. Are the heads similar to the N* can it be done with the engine in the car? Where is the oil cooler ?

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

how many miles on it and its sport?????

75,000 wish it was a sport

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

oil cooler i have info about where and how to remove oil cooler but cant post here, to mush

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Blow by blow instructions with pix (courtesy of Omega Owners Forum)

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90596.0

Ok so I might have F*!} up. When I bought it I drove for about half hour then I noticed smoked for under the hood smelled like oil then the oil light. I added oil a lot. Then comes the white smoke. Little oil from the bottom I mean a drip or two not enought to cause constant oil burning while driving, no coolant leaks, but a milky oil cap. Hope it's not the heads will look at it this weekend.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Not worth fixing. If you can fix it, invariably something else will go wrong.

Found a engine with 45 k on it put a 99 1300. Anything I should do before install?

Jaeger63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Quote Originally Posted by 98Geldog View Post
    Found a engine with 45 k on it put a 99 1300. Anything I should do before install?
    Are you sure you actually have a problem that merits an engine replacement? It's much cheaper and easier to replace an oil cooler than an engine. Have you done a compression or leakdown test? Do you have rod knock?

I think the thick white smoke blowing out the exhaust says it all. And no havent done the test and there is a rod knock faint but on cold start then goes away.

Just got my catera back today! New engine installed 45k 75k on the car. This thing drives pretty good. Still a couple issues. The coolant light is on which I think it's a faulty sensor in the overfill, it shakes a bit at low rpm the mechanic says its throwing a throttle body code, will scan tomorrow to see what code, of course I have radio issues but I got 2 relays from the bone yard that I resoldered and will test out tomorrow, both cigar lighters won't work and the fuse is good, the snow button is lit at all times? The sunroof wants to work goes up a little then shuts back sometimes in even and the car seems to want to veer to the right just a bit a times. Other than that I've hit the highway at about 100 and she wanted more, drives pretty damn good.

So the code is the random misfire codes. The guy installed new plugs so I guess I will be replacing the coils, think that's the best place to start she only shakes at low idle sometimes and while driving its fine. The resoldered relays so far work great no radio issues and my fog lights work now. Thanks for the info

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.