Rear strut deflated but a few days later reinflated.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Rear strut deflated but a few days later reinflated. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; My 1997 Catera's rear driver side strut was deflated when I went to drive it this last Sunday. The ride ...
    jblack1119 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Rear strut deflated but a few days later reinflated.

My 1997 Catera's rear driver side strut was deflated when I went to drive it this last Sunday. The ride was really bumpy but was made better by keeping it in sport mode. Yesterday I called an auto parts store to have them order me some new rear struts, but then I noticed the car was almost up to full height again and today it is at normal height in that corner. So now I don't think its the strut, but maybe the pump, but I assumed that it was one pump for all struts, but having never worked on this before I don't know. Can anyone help? Are there independent pumps for each strut, or are there valves separate for each one, and maybe one got stuck open/closed, but loosened back up again? Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Re: Rear strut deflated but a few days later reinflated.

there is one compressor for both shocks, it's under the front bumber , passinger side, theres one line that goes back to the rear, than T's to both shocks, for you to loose air on one side , would guess a air leak, or bad shock, only thing shocks are sold in pairs

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    You can't lose air on one side only. If the rude height was uneven side to side, check for a broken spring.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

true, but broken spring also doesn't go back to normal height too

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Correct. But the height difference may be less noticeable once the ELC system has brought the rear up to proper ride height.

The other possibility is a seizing shock, but that's less likely.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

+1 on the broken spring. Both of mine were broken deep into the "tray" they sat so when the car was lifted, it wasn't easy to see. As for sport mode, that has a dampening effect? I thought that it just changed the shift rpms.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.