Catera ownership experience? - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Catera ownership experience? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Originally Posted by elvin315 I'm a big Catera booster but today I got a punch in the ribs. Took my ...
    Jaeger63 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): none

Re: Catera ownership experience?

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post

I'm a big Catera booster but today I got a punch in the ribs. Took my 2001 Sport to AAMCO for a routine transmission servicing (flush and filter) but once they got her up on the lift they showed me how dangerously worn my front suspension was. Idler arm, tie rod and tie rod ends, all loose enough to shake by hand. Front tires worn at the inner edge. Not enough to warannt replacement but geez they're only 9 months old. Total is $1100 parts & labor.
    In my experience cars that handle well tend to wear those components faster. I'm not sure if the cause is the suspension geometry, or if it's simply that you tend to corner more aggressively with a car that is responsive. Probably you tend to put wider, stickier tires on larger wheels as well. End result is that your parents' Toyata Yaris or Lincoln Town car never wears these out, but a sport sedan tends to need them about every 100k.

$1100 seems a little high, though.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Catera ownership experience?

Quote Originally Posted by Jaeger63 View Post
    Okay - what do you suggest instead? You can now get a gently used, well kept Catera with moderate mileage for $3k - $5k. Let's say you are not interested in Camry or Accord, but want something that would have been considered a competitor to the Catera circa 2000. What would you recommend instead?

I'm thinking of comparable RWD entry level luxury sedans - Lincoln LS, BMW 318/530, Mercedes C class, Infinityg35? Maybe I'm missing some.
    As bad as the Craptera is and other too, it is just plain stupid to spend your good money on a car that may be a beauty queen on the outside, but a POS once you own her. Hell, I did what most people here have done. Bought a caddy at a cheap price. And we all have paid for it! When your CEL light goes on so many times, it burns out, you know you have a POS car. When your sunroof opens for no reason at all, you own a POS car. When your memory seats don't remember, you know you have a POS car. Should I go on.

Just buy a reliable used car, not one that is used up!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.