Control arm
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Control arm in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Planning to replace front control arms due to crazy shaking in steering wheel. I hope it will fix the problem ...
    JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Control arm

Planning to replace front control arms due to crazy shaking in steering wheel. I hope it will fix the problem according to many posts about shakiness.
    Guys!!! What control arms brand are u recommending???????
    DORMAN - $114 (rockauto)
    MOOG - $159 (rockauto)
    RAYBESTOS - $169 (ebay)

And what u think about that? It will Help
    Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Control arm

They are all find with about the same warranty

And what u think about that? It will Help
    Thank you

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

I hope it helps because I'm going to do the same thing soon.

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I have the QUINTON HAZELL bought it from rockauto.com (euro market) two years ago and it's working good so far.

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

I don't know how "crazy" you are shaking, but one thing to look at would be the stabilizer bar links.

I had my Cat on a trip couple weeks ago, I noticed a clunking while driving over bumps or rough spots.
    Also had a pretty good shake going on while braking.

Got a set of the Deeza CDL 619 from RockAuto for $16 ea., easy to replace.
    Fixed the clunk AND the shake.
    (The previous owner had nearly the entire front end replaced, alignment, etc. but it didn't solve her problem. 10 minute search here & I had my answer!)

Just wanted to throw that out there, they are easy to check & cheap to replace.

well i had problem with knocking too, after i hit the hole on the road and bust my tire after that i replaced both front stabilizer bar links and knocking gone, also i checked sway bar link bushing, they was tight but that shaking problem i had before, steering wheel shacking and transmission clutch when i driving from 20-30mph and over. but this week i hit over 700miles on highway and now its even shaking more, when i stopping kind a hard, shakiness like crazy!!!! and pulling to the left or to the right, and im telling u that's not brakes!!! i tried balancing and alignment in a pass and its never help, just little bit for a short period of time

so what u think, any idea ?????????????????
    Thank you

Ok guys finally after whole week replacing process got my car back on the road !!!!! Why week??? Well first day i was fighting with removing ball joint from knuckle until i find that i do need special tool for it (not even try to use fork - its not gonna work)
    That what kind a tool i got and it took me like 1 min to remove after fighting with it all day
    sykes-pickavant-ball-joint-separator.jpg
    Then i had spend few day with out driving cuz i found that vertical bushing was cracked, so i had to re-order and send this damaged one back to rockauto. Just for u to know that control arm Dorman that i got not coming with any bolt, it should, AcDelco brand is, but im sorry im not gonna spend $700 on control arms for the car that have 150k already, so even called to Dorman - they told me that no bolt are coming with control arm. I personally for safety reason wanted to replaced lower ball joint joint pinch bolt that hold and tight ball joint in place, mine is eat by rust in the middle, so was kind a scare to put it back but didn't have a choose to do it!. Dealer couldn't even find that bolt on diagram and told that i cant get this bolt with purchasing whole control arm... so i just put it back ....
    NOW car stability is awesome!!!! i never knew that horizontal bushing that was warp can give me that kind big changes. My vertical bushing and ball joint were just fine, but i had to replaced whole arm cuz for me its easier. If u want to safe some money u can just replaced horizontal bushings. I still have little shakiness in steering wheel and car it self when im going over 55-60mph even after alignment and balance, shop found that my all 4 rimp are band but i can leave with that.

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Glad your shaking is gone but you didn't have to buy new control arms. The shaking is caused by worn front control arm bushings. The original control arms can be rebuilt with new horizontal and vertical bushings as well as new ball joints. You could also have used polyurethane front/horizontal bushings which are stiffer, stronger, and last longer.

Read my suspension article for details:

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...pgrades-part-1

well i would pay even more to do all this job plus its not that easy u press them out, i just mad my life easy and got whole new 2 arms for $250
    Money is getting tight with this car.... i got it from dealer for 5k with 126k on it, invest already almost 4k and still have allot to do... like front struts and mounts, now guys found that all my rims bend so had to get all new set with tires it another $1000. im not even talking bout that im planing to get new double din stereo. For a few months already, my car can do only for 14-15mpg (no check engine light) With 150k on odometer i dont know if its worst to do all that. i love that car. Give me some advise. Will I reach 200k

Just updated:
    after only 6 month my bushings went out and shakiness started againe.... I remover Droman arms and bushing was cracked... I order vertical powerFlex from UK for like $90 and Raybastos horizontal from rock auto for $40, took it to shop to press them out and press new in - another $60. Approxemitly 2 years pass and everything working fine. DO NOT BUY Dorman parts......

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.