radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago., please read & advise
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago., please read & advise in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, I got this '01 catera (it has issues) but recently, radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 ...
    liweih21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago., please read & advise

Hi, I got this '01 catera (it has issues) but recently, radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago (it was very low), with the 50%water/50%coolant (cheap one). I check the radiator reservoir is full.

It is like what everyone says the radiator sensor in the reservoir is bad? could be anything else?

I also notice the car overheats just a tick: like a centimeter over the middle of temp. guage, then the fan comes on, that why battery always kind of low, then it flux a bit but never more than that, any ideas?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

jpgrod is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago., please read & adv

ya my catera runs a little hot 3/4 and flux up and down . recently I had to change my radiater cause it had a crack then after that it still was losing fluid nd I found out my coolant resavoir was leaking from the cap changed that now its all good ! It still run at 3/4 hot though till the fans come on then it goes down to half and flux between those to temps !

liweih21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: radiator light came on, filled up coolant about 500 miles ago., please read & adv

I am asking about the radiator light, could it be anything else other than the sensor in that tank that is bad that would cause it be on even though the tank is completely drained and refilled with the 50%coolant/50%water. Does it have to be Dextol? the expensive red one, could that be reason?

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Most likely it's the sensor in the reservoir. I had the same issue and replaced the reservoir and the light turned off.

Thanks.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Two reasons for a "Check coolant level" light or warning: Loss of coolant for some mechanical reason or a faulty level sensor, and at the ages of most of our cars, either problem is an option.

Go over the cooling system and repair any - any - weep or leak. Check that the springs and seals in the coolant reservoir cap are clean, springy, and that the seals allow NO air/coolant leakage. The level sensor is usually a magnetic reed switch in the bottom of the tank - a float with a steel insert trips the magnetic switch and on goes the light - stuck float, faulty wiring, dirty connector.

Cracked reservoir - Amazon, automotive, your car. ......... or www.gmpartsgiant.com , your car, system, index, "more info" tab for numbered parts diagrams.

DO NOT "fill" the coolant reservoir to the top - there MUST be 2 - 2.5" of airspace over the cold coolant in the reservoir. NEVER check or adjust coolant with the engine warm or hot.

Either DEX-COOL (orange) or good old Green Goddess is fine - just don't fall into the "long life" trap - exchange coolant every three years - religiously.

Water pump drive and serpentine belt drive tensioner pulleys are not forever - check them annually for clicking noises, rattles, general wear. Cheap and easy to replace. www.rockauto.com, and ^^^ gmpartsgiant. Get into a parts bind ?? Call Chris in parts at Rippy Cadillac over there >>>

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I have a used tank in perfect shape 25.00 plus 10.00 to ship let me know

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.