Gas mileage!!!!!!! - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Gas mileage!!!!!!! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I had a 2000 sport for 2 years. When I first got the car I was getting 15mpg. The problem?? ...
    hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: Gas mileage!!!!!!!

I had a 2000 sport for 2 years. When I first got the car I was getting 15mpg. The problem?? mine had a torn intake air hose in front of the throttle body. the car was getting to much air and the elect. throttle body was being confused and dumping to much fuel into the car. you could smell raw fuel coming out the tail pipes.

I replaced the throttle body air intake hose an almost instantly got 17-18 mpg.

the cater is rated for 16mpg city and 24mpg hwy.

I drove in mixed and averaged 20mpg in the summer and 17-18 in the winter.

I used regular fuel and had no issue at all.

Keep in mind this is the same 3.0 in the saab 93 and saturn l-300 and neither of those cars require premium fuel!! the catera does not call for premium from waht I recall it recmends 89.

when i ran premium I received 1mpg better... that was not worth the price.

The worst i ever got with my car was 235 on a tank. I ususally would fill around 255 miles and use 12 gallons, and lets say... that I drove the car as if I was on the track!

I will say that my 97 achieved 33mpg in 2002 when i drove it from houston texas to rochester ny, and then with rural driving it got 25mpg all the time.. It was much much better than my 2000.

I think you have a air leak in your fuel system.

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Trust me most cadillacs if not all reccomend highly that premium fuel is used. You will keep your engine cleaner and make it last longer. Premium fuel has more detergents in it than other fuels which helps clean out engine gunk, and keep your fuel filter clean. If you run regular unleaded in a cadillac especially listen to hear for a "spark knock" as if it is more than barely noticable you can do damage to your motor. I own a 98 Cadillac Catera with around 150,000 miles on it and have rarely put anything besides premium in it. With premium you don't have to press the gas pedal down as far to get to your desired speed, and in my case I get better gas mileage using premium verses mid-grade or regular. Though my engine has 150,000 + miles on it and it is the dreaded 3.0 catera motor, it runs like a champ. I think paying 20 cents or less for a 6 point octane boost is well worth it especially when you can get better gas mileage and make your engine last longer. Theres a reason cadillac recommends it. For a fill up on a 15 gallon tank your paying only 3 dollars more for the good stuff.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    Keep in mind this is the same 3.0 in the saab 93 and saturn l-300 and neither of those cars require premium fuel!! the catera does not call for premium from waht I recall it recmends 89.
    I have the Owners Manual in front of me. "Use premium unleaded gasoline rate at 91 octane or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasolines, but your vehicle may not accelerate as well. " The engines for the Saab and Saturn may be tuned differently if they only required regular. We've had our Catera for over 16 years and always used premium. My father in law used regular in his and was always complaining it was sluggish.

Quote Originally Posted by investor74 View Post
    I have the Owners Manual in front of me. "Use premium unleaded gasoline rate at 91 octane or higher for best performance. You may use middle grade or regular unleaded gasolines, but your vehicle may not accelerate as well. " The engines for the Saab and Saturn may be tuned differently if they only required regular. We've had our Catera for over 16 years and always used premium. My father in law used regular in his and was always complaining it was sluggish.
    exactly. Enough said

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Mine never had a ping on regular fuel. on the other hand my taurus does have a ping on regular. and it recomends regular.

If you have a ping you can install a 1* cooler spark plug to solve that issue.

I friend had a parisienne from the time it was new, and had the ping, finially installed the cooler plugs, problem solved.

My car had 141K when I sold it and I was unaware of any damage due to regular fuel, The new owner has not contacted me with any issues over the last 9 months either.

There are a lotta differing opinions. my note was to express what I had done and my results. and possible solve a problem an owner had with their car. I know for a fact my catera gas recomendation was not premium. I used it for about 2 months, then used regular and noticed no performace differance.

If a car is tuned well it will work well. mine worked well on regular fuel.

Don't know why you Guy's are confused at what our Manuel states. It clearly says in English. Premium gas. Lol
    Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    I know for a fact my catera gas recomendation was not premium.

jupiter57 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '97 DeVille, '98 DeVille, '97 Catera

I just got back from my first road trip in this '97.
    I filled up with Regular (Old habits?), drove 254 miles, filled up again (with just under 1/2 tank) & the calculator says I am getting 27.3 MPG!

I was taken aback, as the EPA estimate is ~24 Highway.
    Not complaining though!
    I have had 3 previous Caddies, '88 DeVille, '97 & '98 Devilles, the '88 got 27.7 MPG on it's longest trip, the '97 & '98 both got ~26+ MPG.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

27 mpg! must do a lot of drafting then!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.