Oil pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil pressure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have a 97 catera and it had 75k now 101k It had some little problems when I got it. ...
    snicksmartiner is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Oil pressure

I have a 97 catera and it had 75k now 101k It had some little problems when I got it. My main concern now is it getting the proper oil flow. The psi gauge never worked when I bought it and the heater control valve is still bad. But now the oil level light is coming on and going off it did it once when I first bought it but now it comes on all the time and it stays on longer I have been on the hi way I'm traveling right now. And I need a professionals advice. I replaced the sending unit and it gave me a blip of pressure on the gauge and that was the end of that for about another 7k I live in north dakota and common speed is 70 to 110mph. All of a sudden I went out to my car after idling it the night before for a couple hours and the ac on hi. And now my gauge will read pressure but at certain speeds it falls out. Driving 55 to 70 it will kinda read any faster it goes to zero. And now my oil level light is coming on frequently and it's making me nervous it is all the way full but not over full. I put 2 thousand miles on since last change and I'm running 10w30 and I just want to get your thought what it might be or is it just catera's phenomenal wiring and I don't need to stress this second. Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

JimmyH is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts

Re: Oil pressure

moved from cust svc

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

I run nothing but 10-40 or 15-40 in mine with just about 240k miles.

I noticed with 5-30 or 10-30 when extreme heat hits, and car gets to around 220F before the fans kick on the oil pressure would drop in the red zone... higher viscosity fixed this.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

https://www.google.com/#q=CATERA%20O...llacforums.com

Read through all the threads in the above search

there's two oil pressure sensors on some year models ... one for the PCM and one for the gauge

sometimes there's a problem with the oil pump (that can be costly to fix) that causes the low pressure

if you run heavier weight oil you're not really fixing the problem
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

CateraMV6 hijacked the thread, and his HD fleet oils are not his real cure for his problem - Chris, what's the fan sequence in a Catera ??? SLOW at 224 like ours ??

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Coolant Fan Circuit Operation

The engine cooling system consists of the following components:

• One engine coolant fan
    • Two auxiliary coolant fans (#1 and #2)
    • Two temperature switches (primary cooling fan temperature switch and secondary cooling fan temperature switch)
    • One A/C compressor refrigerant pressure switch
    • One ECM cooling blower
    • One timing control pump
    • One auxiliary water pump
    • Seven fan control relays
    • One engine coolant fan resistor

These components operate as follows:

B+ is supplied to the auxiliary water pump whenever the ignition switch is in the ON position. At 100C (212F), the primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 will close, enabling the ECM relay K48 and the fan control relay K26 to energize. When the ECM relay K48 energizes, B+ is applied to the ECM cooling blower allowing it to operate. When the fan control relay K26 energizes, B+ from fuse #52 is applied to the auxiliary coolant fan #1 and to the auxiliary fan #2 through the normally open contacts of the fan control relay K52. This will cause the auxiliary coolant fans (#1 and #2) to operate in series at half speed. The fan control relay K26 will also supply B+ to the engine coolant fan after it goes through the engine coolant fan resistor. The engine coolant fan resistor will cause the engine coolant fan to operate at half speed. The fan control relay K26 will supply B+ to the timing control pump through the normally closed contacts of the auxiliary water pump relay K22. This will allow the timing control pump to operate. The primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 1 contacts will open when the coolant temperature reaches 95C (203F). This will turn all three fans, the ECM cooling blower, and the timing control pump OFF, unless the air conditioning system is ON.

If the ignition switch is in the OFF position and the coolant temperature is above 100C (212F), both of the auxiliary engine coolant fans (#1 and #2), the engine coolant fan, and the timing control pump will remain ON until the coolant temperature drops below 95C (203F).

If the temperature reaches 105C (221F), the secondary cooling fan temperature switch contacts will close enabling the fan control relays K52 and K28 to energize. When the fan control relay K52 energizes, the auxiliary engine coolant fan #1 will go to full speed because it is no longer in series with the auxiliary engine coolant fan #2. When the fan control relay K28 is energized, B+ from fuse #40 will allow the auxiliary engine coolant fan #2 to go to full speed. With the stage 1 contacts of the primary cooling fan temperature switch closed, the ECM cooling blower, the timing control pump, and the engine coolant fan will continue to operate. The secondary cooling fan temperature switch contacts will open when the coolant temperature reaches 100C (212F). This will cause the operation of the auxiliary engine coolant fans (#1 and #2) to operate differently as the primary cooling fan temperature switch designates.

If the coolant temperature reaches 110 (230F), the secondary cooling fan temperature switch stage 2 will close enabling the fan control relay K67 to energize. When the fan control relay K67 energizes, B+ from fuse #42 will be applied to the engine coolant fan directly. This will cause the engine coolant fan to operate at full speed. All the other operations that were taking place before the coolant temperature reached 110C (230F) will remain in effect. The primary cooling fan temperature switch stage 2 contacts will open when the coolant temperature reaches 105C (221F) and the engine coolant fan will return to half speed.

At coolant temperatures above approximately 110C (230F), all three coolant fans are operating at full speed. The ECM cooling blower, the timing control pump, and the auxiliary water pump are also operating. Only six of the seven relays operate at this time, unless the air conditioning system is turned ON. In this case, the fan control relay K87 and the A/C compressor relay K60 will also operate.

In order to prevent inadmissible high refrigerant pressure in the refrigerant circuit, the auxiliary engine coolant fans (#1 and #2) are switched from the first speed to the second speed at refrigerant pressures above approximately 1,900 kPa (275 PSI). When the pressure drops below approximately 1,500 kPa (217 PSI), the auxiliary engine coolant fans (#1 and #2) are switched back to the first speed.

that's for a '98 but it should be the same

a bit more stuff there than in an northstar system (3 fans plus an ecm blower plus aux water pumps)
    but the same principal remains ... fans on slow when the ac is on ... but when the ac is off the fans go from slow to fast depending on the temp and then off if the temp goes back below 203
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at Rippy Automotive
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership & Official Saab Service Center
    ~~ Family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946 ~~
    We offer all forum members discounts on parts and freight
    phone: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, stick on fender vents
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

What a Rube Goldberg lashup !!! ............... and the FWD Seville/Deville people think they have odd fan controls !!!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.