98 Catera problem, figures. Can you tell me whats wrong?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 98 Catera problem, figures. Can you tell me whats wrong? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I got a '98 Catera, and everytime I start it up, it makes a whine type of noise in the ...
    TehKevster is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera(gone), 2002 Deville

98 Catera problem, figures. Can you tell me whats wrong?

I got a '98 Catera, and everytime I start it up, it makes a whine type of noise in the front end of the vehicle.

It does this for minute or so, I believe it has something to do with the front air shocks because I can't go more than 3mph on one of our towns railroad tracks, or any bump for that matter, but I can't figure out where to start looking to find out what's wrong.

I'll try to get a video up, unless someone has had this issue and knows what needs to be fixed..

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 98 Catera problem, figures. Can you tell me whats wrong?

probably power steering pump or alternator. Try to turn the steering wheel and see if it makes any noise.

cadmanchris is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2001 DTS,2007 STS V8
    The noise is the air pump for the emissions system. There is also an level ride compressor in front. But these 2 things will not limit your speed to 3 mph. Is check engine light on?

Alright, I managed to make a video, you can check it out here, and hopefully tell me what you completely think it is so I can get looking and fixing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBT5l4Kx7wE&feature=plcp

And as for the 3mph, I meant that like if I go any faster it's so rough and it seems like the shocks are not doing what they should be.

That sounds strange....can you open the hood and take a video so maybe it might help to track the noise better?

Alright, I'll have a video up in a few.

Alright here is another video with the hood up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXi8W...hannel&list=UL

It sounds like it's coming from under or behind the battery from what I heard.

I have a doubt it's the tensioner pulley or maybe the AC pulley grinding against the compressor clutch.. Try spraying some WD40 or maybe add two or three drops of all purpose lube to the bolt/center area of the pulley and see what it does. Also, does that noise happen with the battery just turned on?

CADMAN56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Sounds like AIR pump running and leaking air. Check pump assy for leaks when it is running,also check hoses and diverter valve for leaks.Pump is under left front of car,valve is mounted to radiator at top left

Does anyone have a diagram or something as to where all of the hoses are and lead to? I'm sure it ought to be one of those, and if I knew where to look I could lift the Catera up and check at startup for the problem.

Alright, I got a 3 book service manual for a 1998 Cadillac Catera. And it shows that only the back of the vehicle is meant to lift. Relief to me, but opens up many more questions that I have to figure out. I don't believe my struts are bad, because I can push down on the front of my vehicle and it will go down and rise back up like it's supposed to do. As for the noise, I may have to look into it, but it doesn't seem to do any harm as there is no front air ride. Post as you please, I'll put updates up as they come.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by TehKevster
    I don't believe my struts are bad, because I can push down on the front of my vehicle and it will go down and rise back up like it's supposed to do.
    That tells you exactly nothing about the condition of the struts. Struts (and shocks) absorb shock, and control body motion, your car is suspended by coil springs, they are what pushes back up when you push the car down. Uncontrolled body motion, "pogoing" up and down after hitting a bump, bottoming out....those are signs of bad dampers.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

How heavy is the spring rate to the strut??

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

its secondary air injection pump got unseal and pumping air around it. that pump look just like vacuum cleaner motor, and makes almost the same noise

located right under front driver side bumper, its right next to horn, u lift vehicle remove horn, remove pump and resealed with 5-6 long screws, original screws (they look like calipers) got broken

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.