PVC valve has Plastic restricter insert
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, PVC valve has Plastic restricter insert in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I think i'm the proud owner of a 2001 Catera, still skeptical but positive after reading the forum, I drove ...
    Wisemd03 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Catera

PVC valve has Plastic restricter insert

I think i'm the proud owner of a 2001 Catera, still skeptical but positive after reading the forum, I drove it from the used car lot straight to my shop and started taking it apart. I'm replacing everything up front right off the list of known issues. So after reading the threads about leaking valve covers and unclogging the PVC valve i decided to take a look at mine. the smaller tube appears to have some kind of plastic restrictor with a small hole that i can blow air through. I've attached a photo, does this look normal? I have changed several valve covers and some have leaked again so if there's an underlying cause i want to find it before i button it up. Thanks,
    Attached Images

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Re: PVC valve has Plastic restricter insert

The 2001 (late) Northstars went to a fixed orifice PCV instead of the old rattle pin type. Maybe you guys fall in there, too.

Thanks, Any ideas as to why pressure might build up and blow oil out the valve covers and possibly cause the leak at the cam seal. The pcv breather box doesn't appear to be clogged, i can blow air through both pipes, I wonder if installing a pressure relief valve on the actual leaking valve cover and plum it back into the system some how would work?

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, chrome it
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Something's fishy - The PCV system uses 2 "air lines" - one supplies clean, fresh air from some point after the air filter to (???) a valve cover; that inflow of clean air is drawn down through the crankcase, up into the other valve cover, by the vacuum created by the PCV orifice and line to the intake manifold vacuum fitting - THAT line runs at intake manifold vacuum, which can vary from practically nothing on hard acceleration to almost 30" of vacuum on forced high rpm deceleration..........BUT even if a pressure (piston ring blowby) were to build, it would be bled off back into the clean air line as well as reduced by the vacuum side of the system.

Start the engine let it idle and remove the oil filler cap. Pull and plug the clean air PCV supply line TO the valve cover. Hold the palm of a hand on the oil filler opening. Does the PCV system gradually pull a suction on your hand ?? If so, the system is working correctly.

(if a flashlight shows the inside of the engine near the oil fill opening to be clean to slightly amber-brown oily color, you don't have crankcase ventilation problems. "Sludge" - nasty, gooey, blobby oil dirt deposits all over everything is a direct result of poor crankcase ventilation.)

Thanks for the info...I'm basically just fishing for and answer to leaking valve covers. My system appears to be real clean no sludge, carbon blockage anywhere and lines are clear. I guess this leaves warped/expanded plastic covers. Checked mating surface with straight edge and looks good. However, the sides look pushed out slightly not sure if from over tightening or by design. Going to put on new gaskets and hope for the best.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.