Low Oil Pressure
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Low Oil Pressure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was driving to work today and suddenly on red light got beep noise, look at the dash board and ...
    JohnJJO is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Low Oil Pressure

I was driving to work today and suddenly on red light got beep noise, look at the dash board and saw light at the low pressure gauge and gauge was on 0psi (red zone) i pulled over, restart vehicle and got same thing - 0psi !!!! Then vehicle was seating park for 4 hours. when I started, gauge was showing 80psi, then in around 5 min driving when car got worm, gauge start to showing around 15-20psi almost at the red zone!!! After few more minutes, I puled over at the parking lot and got beep again gauge was showing 0psi (red zone) at 600-700rpm.
    When I driving it's stays in around 20-60psi zone. When I setting on park and just accelerating to 1500-2000rpm gauge jumping to 20-40psi.

PLEASE HELP !!!!!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Is your oil level correct? If so, if so, have the pressure checked with a gauge to rule out a faulty oil pressure sender.

RippyPartsDept is offline Hi, I'm Chris - Please Read My Signature
    Automobile(s): 1999 DeVille "Bianca" (white/blue, VIN-Y, 160k)

Re: Low Oil Pressure

catera's have been known to have problems with oil pressure and oil pressure switches

depending on the exact model (year) there are a couple different things that could be the problem

they are pretty well documented here if you do some searches

there should be at least 3 very long threads with a few people that swam through the swamp that you are just now dipping your toes into

good luck
    Chris Heath (RippyPartsDept) is an ASE Certified GM Parts Consultant at
    Rippy is a Cadillac, Hummer, Saturn & Saab dealership - family owned and operated in Wilmington, NC since 1946
    We offer all forum members deals on parts and freight - e: parts@rippyautomotive.com ph: 800-RIPPY-22
    <-- insert standard boilerplate about posts not necessarily representing my employer, etc -->

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Maybe cleaning the oil pressure sensor with a sensor cleaner should work. It's in the front of the upper oil pan (left side), right below the pulley. If that does not work then try adding a little more thicker oil.....thanks.

today i went to junk yard and got switch from 113k Catera, mine is 2000 Sport with 148k on it
    so replacing took me just 5 min but i have same situation, its going to red zone in 5-10 miles drive
    my switch cost $222 in Auto Zone, $145 on ebay thats really high for damn switch
    one from junk yard could be bad too but its like 99.9%
    i will try to test with gauge tomorrow
    but if any body know something about
    PLEASE HELP
    Attached Images

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Did you try cleaning it with the sensor cleaning spray? Make sure to clean the tiny hole on the tip of the sensor part where it threads into the upper pan. If that doesn't work, then drain the old oil and add 10w40 and see what it does. If nothing works, my guess is that the oil pump is failing.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

He's what I did when I had the same problem, change oil and filter, change oil pressure senor ( at The dealer it cost me $86.00 I don't were these guys are coming up at $100.00s) now it goes from 60psi when running and 20-25psi when stop. if that does not fix it then you lost your oil pump.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3 View Post
    He's what I did when I had the same problem, change oil and filter, change oil pressure senor ( at The dealer it cost me $86.00 I don't were these guys are coming up at $100.00s) now it goes from 60psi when running and 20-25psi when stop. if that does not fix it then you lost your oil pump.
    One vital piece of info is missing. What weight oil are you using? I had similar issues and treated by switching to a 10W40 or 20W50 oil during the hot summer months. The high ambient temps thin the oil and the heavier weight doesn't seem to be affected. The only time I see the red warning light is upon initial start up. Just a wink. I switch back to a 10W40 or 10W30 for the winter.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    One vital piece of info is missing. What weight oil are you using? I had similar issues and treated by switching to a 10W40 or 20W50 oil during the hot summer months. The high ambient temps thin the oil and the heavier weight doesn't seem to be affected. The only time I see the red warning light is upon initial start up. Just a wink. I switch back to a 10W40 or 10W30 for the winter.
    The thing that is more troubling with his problem is that the gauge dips to 0. As you said, I had the problem of the oil pressure dropping slightly below 20 psi at idle on extremely hot days two years ago and "fixed" it by using some STP oil treatment which is mostly 50 weight oil. Didn't have to use it last summer at all. But never did the pressure drop to 0.

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315
    I had similar issues and treated by switching to a 10W40 or 20W50 oil
    This advice is all over this forum (and many others). Low oil pressure indicates low oil volume, and THAT'S the important part. Switching to a heavier weight oil is NOT a treatment or a fix, it simply masks one of the symptoms, the low pressure reading. The pressure only increases because the thicker oil is more difficult to pump through the oil passages, it does not increase flow, it does not solve the problem.

Instead of trying to diagnose the pressure sender, have an actual oil pressure test performed (using the correct viscosity oil), and go from there.

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

what oil I used is 10-40W Full Synthetic (always use Synthetic) cost more but if you don't problems will arise, and one Quart of Lucas

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    This advice is all over this forum (and many others). Low oil pressure indicates low oil volume, and THAT'S the important part. Switching to a heavier weight oil is NOT a treatment or a fix, it simply masks one of the symptoms, the low pressure reading. The pressure only increases because the thicker oil is more difficult to pump through the oil passages, it does not increase flow, it does not solve the problem.

Instead of trying to diagnose the pressure sender, have an actual oil pressure test performed (using the correct viscosity oil), and go from there.
    Changing the oil may not be a fix but it is cheaper than throwing hard parts at the problem.

PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oil had coolant in it due to previous problem with Heater Control Valve that got broke in side and was pushing coolant in air hose where was mixing with air, then with fuel in cylinder, and was giving me multiply misfire. Heater Control Valve and coolant was replaced but wright after that, got that low oil pressure like on the day i left shop that was dealing with me misfire. So i just drain oil for like an hour and filled with (Walmart Super Tech 15W-40, AcDelco filter). Now works fine. i still not sure if 15W-40 fixed the problem but i can tell when I was draining oil it was really thin just like Coca-Cola and oil cap was look like i got blow head gasket.
    I will still track result. And will post any changes
    Thanks to every body !!!!!!!
    Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315

Changing the oil may not be a fix but it is cheaper than throwing hard parts at the problem.
    Right, but you accomplish exactly nothing. The pressure increase does not mean increased oil flow, the problem remains the same, the needle is just in a different position. It's like putting a piece of tape over the check engine light.

A sufficient amount of oil must be pumped throughout the engine in order to properly lubricate the bearings, correct? Think of it this way:

You're filling up a pool with a garden hose. The hose isn't long enough to reach the pool, but the stream of water can reach. Now turn the spigot down a little. Pressure in the hose drops, and the water no longer reaches the pool. Now if you switched the water supply to something thicker, let's say cooking oil (not the most pleasant thing to swim in, but for the sake of argument...) pressure in the hose will go up, but since FLOW doesn't increase, the oil still doesn't reach the pool.

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3
    (always use Synthetic) cost more but if you don't problems will arise
    Absolutely, 100% FALSE. There are very few engines that actually require synthetic, and the Cateras is NOT one of them. The non synthetic oil recommended in the owners manual, in the recommended viscosity, from any brand, will work just fine.

Does synthetic oil have advantages over conventional oil, and is it "better"? Yes.

Is it necessary/required? In the Catera, no.

and one Quart of Lucas
    Since when does engine oil need "stabilizing"? Can you explain exactly what that means? It's advantages? Can you explain why NONE of the worlds automobile or engine manufacturers recommend its use?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.