Low Oil Pressure - Page 3
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Low Oil Pressure in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Yesterday changed my oil to Castrol Hight Millage 10-W30 + Fram x6 protection filter after running on 15-W40 over 1500miles. ...
    JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

Re: Low Oil Pressure

Yesterday changed my oil to Castrol Hight Millage 10-W30 + Fram x6 protection filter after running on 15-W40 over 1500miles.
    Well i did saw oil pressure dropped around 4psi according my previous records. I will track my mpg that was recently dropped after i went with 15-W40
    and was getting only 14.5 mpg around city and 20mpg on highway ;(

Anybody know what reading supposed to be by the book on oil pressure!!!!????!!!
    Thank you

PS.
    Also i got GoldPlug its oil drain plug that have strong magnetic tip for $18. I'm really interesting if its work and how mush dirt it will collect until my next oil change
    AP02FS-315x199.jpg

nethic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by JohnJJO View Post
    PROBLEM SOLVED !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Oil had coolant in it due to previous problem with Heater Control Valve that got broke in side and was pushing coolant in air hose where was mixing with air, then with fuel in cylinder, and was giving me multiply misfire. Heater Control Valve and coolant was replaced but wright after that, got that low oil pressure like on the day i left shop that was dealing with me misfire. So i just drain oil for like an hour and filled with (Walmart Super Tech 15W-40, AcDelco filter). Now works fine. i still not sure if 15W-40 fixed the problem but i can tell when I was draining oil it was really thin just like Coca-Cola and oil cap was look like i got blow head gasket.
    I will still track result. And will post any changes
    Thanks to every body !!!!!!!

I was out driving around last night and I got the red oil pressure light on, I checked my oil levels all is fine, read some posts on here, investigated further, seen this picture, and man my oil cap looks like the exact same thing. I checked the coolant reservoir and I didn't see any kind of slug or oil, just little bits of what looks like specs of dirt, I read allot about how the oil cooler goes on cateras and a exchange on cars over 100k khm is highly recommended this is the first time this has happened to me and if it gives any clues, I had it up to about 100khm speeds last night and the light only came on when I got it home. I'll clean the oil cap and take it out for another spin and see if it comes back, if it does come back, what are some other things I can look for to narrow it down to a more probable issue.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    First remove air hose from heater valve on hot engine and running. See if I have coolant coming out. Try to do it on heat on and off. I would say that your oil cooler fails. Need to be replaced, its like common problem. $180 for coolier and I would recommend to go ahad and replaced thermostat, and two temp sensors that on coolant bridge right next to oil cooler. Cuz u have to remove alot stuff just to get to oil cooler and thermostat right there. Don't forget to get set of gaskets from felpro. All job will cost around $280. Look up on rock auto. Get acdelco OEM parts. I'm not fan of cheep China. Specialy when u have to do all that job to replace it.

frmg0014 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Guys .. Just wanted to point out the low oil pressure that is very common on these cars. This is not a mechanical issue and it is not caused by a failing oil pump. Out counterpart Opel Omegas do not have this issue since they don't have an oil pressure gauge on the dash. It's caused by a failing OIL PRESSURE SENDER located at the front of the engine. I have a 2001 and I had this problem which starts as the weather gets hotter. At idle my pressure would drop to red unless I rev it up. The true pressure is normal but the oil pressure sender is giving inaccurate reading therefore triggering the alarm. It seems as the sensor starts to fail it becomes less accurate and when the weather is warm and the oil is thin, it is not able to read at all. I replaced my sender 2 or so years ago and never had a problem again. When I had this issue a lot of people kept mentioning to use thicker oil since it's caused by a failing oil pump. But I figured it is too common for our cars and these cars are not known to have premature failing of the oil pump in the Opel Omegas in Europe. I hope this helps!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.