Rear Transaxle Fluid Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Rear Transaxle Fluid Change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I was wondering if anyone knows how much oil goes into the rear axle and what kind, it doesn,t say ...
    gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Talking Rear Transaxle Fluid Change

I was wondering if anyone knows how much oil goes into the rear axle and what kind, it doesn,t say in the manual and it looks like it's been leaking for a while, I know you fill it up to the drain plug, but that doesn't tell me how much to buy or what kind

Thank You

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Rear Transaxle Fluid Change

Are you getting any noise from back there? There is no routine maintenance associated with the rear axle. If you can see any oil at the bottom of the viewing window, that is enough.

If it needs oil, it is SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear or Axle Lubricant GM P/N 12345977

gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

no noise , car has 126K on it and I just change the transmission fluid and filter, notice rear axle has very small leak so i check the fill hole and I can,t see or feel with my finger as far as tip of finger to first knuckle but I put a small stick in it and it has some oil in it, so I will pump whats inside and refill, but how many Qts go in it and what kind is what I need to know, I know you fill to the fill hole but that does not tell me how many Qts to buy.

Thank You

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Capacity is 3.6 pints.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

ok u will need one bottle of SAE 80W-90 GL-5 Gear. u can get Castrol brand in auto zone also if it's have small leak, stop leak will help (but not if its big leak!!!) get also Additive - stop leak its in blue tube called "TransX posi-trac" it will also make differential quiet . u need to pump out all old oil, best it's to use garage air compressor brake fluid pump system (like i have) but u can use hand pump, just stick thin hose in refilling hole (where u previously removed bolt) just make sure hose went alway down!!! but u need to do it on hot so drive on highway for about 10 miles.
    pump it out, when u refiling add Additive first then gear oil, as soon as oil start to come out from plug hole u fine (its mean level is normal) so just put bolt plug back and u DONE

Don't bother with any stop leak product, just repair the leak. Add 4 ounces of limited slip additive.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

well i didn't mean to say add stop leak. what i was saying, if u add "TransX posi-trac" additive it could help to stop leak!

Since when is Trans-X a stop leak.

I've read of noise complaints when using Trans-X in place of the genuine GM friction modifier. I would just go to the dealer and get the good stuff, it's only about $10 a bottle.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.