Oil pressure?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Oil pressure? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Does anyone can tell me what are the signs of a oil pump going out and need replacement? Thank you...
    gvjv3 is offline Awaiting Email Confirmation
    Automobile(s): 97 forest Green catera

Question Oil pressure?

Does anyone can tell me what are the signs of a oil pump going out and need replacement?

Thank you

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Low oil pressure.

Re: Oil pressure?

I have normal oil pressure (around 60psi) when I start my car and when am driving, it drops to 20psi when I stop and idel.

I have change my oil and replace the oil pressure sending unit

Are you getting a low pressure warning? 20 PSI at idle isn't really low.

NO, no warning lights or sound, so dropping to 20 psi at idle is normal????

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

My car is exactly the same. 20 psi (as shown on the dash) is normal at idle when the car warms up on a very hot day, slightly above the 20 mark on a cooler day. Notice that the red warning area is around 15 psi.

The dash oil pressure meter in a Catera is a mixed blessing. On on hand, it gives you information that other cars don't have. On the downside, it makes owners (especially new owners) worry needlessly as they watch the needle go up and down with the RPM of the engine. There are dozens of threads on this forum with exactly the same question.

The Catera was my first car with an oil pressure gauge. When I first got the Catera over 15 years ago, I was so alarmed by the gyrations of the oil pressure gauge I took it into the dealer who said it was normal. On a cold start, my gauge can be pinned to the left of the 80 psi! But the engine ran fine for 15 1/2 years so far, and is as smooth and quiet as new.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

oil pumps harder when car is accelorating, or at higher rpms. it is normal that when car is cold it will be higher, as oil is thicker.

as long as its not droping below the red it is fine, thats the way any car is supposed to work. 20-30psi at hot idle, 40-80psi during normal hwy driving, or acceloration.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3 View Post
    NO, no warning lights or sound, so dropping to 20 psi at idle is normal????
    Yes, especially when the oil is thoroughly warmed up - after a 10 mile drive or more. GM's "normal" oil pressure specs, warm, are 10 - 20 psi hot idle, 45 - 60 psi, 2000 rpm ("highway").

You guys are lucky in that you seem to have a pressure gauge that actually works - see my comment below...............

There is no need to use any sort of "oil conditioners" or additives - matter of fact, your owner's manual and GM Service bulletins specifically warn against it. Today's oils, especially the HD fleet and marine multigrades like Shell Rotella, Pennzoil LongLife, and the Chevron DELO variants, without extra additives, are just perfect for a flat-tappet engine.

^^^ hgqguy is right on the money for allowable oil pressure ranges.

^^^ investor74 is absolutely correct: Oil pressure gauges are supposed to move in response to normal pressure changes due to engine speeds. In my STS and in many other cars there is either only an idiot light or an oil pressure gauge that is so highly damped that it never moves: This is to prevent just the sort of needless return to a dealer because "My oil pressure gauge moves". Most "temperature gauges" are the same way: Practically no useful indication, only a needle stuck at 12 o'clock. The days of meaningful gauges in cars are gone forever.

For many, many years I raced some pretty sophisticated "sports cars": All the gauges moved all the time. Open my profile, surf through my 2 albums - lots of "stuff" for cars. Another infrequent poster in here, orconn, drove a Lamborghini (among other toys) for years - he watched gauges that moved, too...........

vekspec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Hiya all! I know this post is about 4 months old so I hope by asking a question here I'm not necro-ing it lol

I just replaced my oil in my 01 catera, just the standard oil from the shop. Drove fine till today, the engine oil pressure light came on with a buzz and stayed on. now throughout this, the oil pressure remained at 60psi highway and when I pulled into work, idle around 20, so I did not see it drop into the red. Coming home from work, the light no longer light up and no more warnings. What do you think could have happened? should i be worried and have it checked out?

Thanks,
    Vekspec

JohnJJO is online now Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

if it happens again, check the oil sending unit - oil pressure unit, its the senor that send the psi to to the gauge on dash, make sure the wire is on tight and its clean,

vekspec is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera

Quote Originally Posted by gvjv3 View Post
    if it happens again, check the oil sending unit - oil pressure unit, its the senor that send the psi to to the gauge on dash, make sure the wire is on tight and its clean,
    alright cool! I'll keep an eye on it and clean it during the weekend. Hopefully it's just a sensor

Sontov is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

where do I find the check the oil sending unit - oil pressure unit ?
    my car will not even turn over... new (good) battery, multimeter: 12v power to the starter and to the alternator...
    power to the dashboard, lights, etc...
    but when I rocker the key in the ignition to ON, all the needles move except the OIL/PSI.
    20121207_155429.jpg

None of the oil related sensors will keep the engine from starting.

Engine off = no oil pressure.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.