Rear shock replacement
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Rear shock replacement in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I have heard that you can replace the rear shocks on a Catera with shocks for a new series GTO ...
    jimbrunton is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Rear shock replacement

I have heard that you can replace the rear shocks on a Catera with shocks for a new series GTO specified shocks. Does anyone know if you do this does the "Leveling" light go out on the dash?

Thanks

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Rear shock replacement

Before attempting, make sure you have no broken springs

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Yes & No. The GTO shocks fit but you lose the self-leveling feature and the light stays on. There are a few ways to disable the self-leveling thus killing the light. The simplest is to move the locating key on the rear swing arm. Drawing courtesy of CateraMV6:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1998710

Photo courtesy of CateraMV6:
    http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...ml#post1998907

You can also swap the GTO springs over. They'll lower the Catera approx. 1 inch.
    NOTE: the front GTO springs are swappable but not the struts.

JBCadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

I didn't realize changing to the Monroe MA825 air shocks that I would lose ALC. My original problem was after 20 minutes the Leveling light flashed constantly. I swapped the shocks (the fittings to the air line are not the same so I used vacuum line near the factory 'T' connection - source air line and 2 shock lines come together near the rear passenger shock). Now, when I start the car, the Leveling light is on constantly, then after 15-20 minutes starts to flash. I will check the air lines with soap/water spray but it looks like I have to adjust the tab as shown above. I still want the ALC to work or I would have replaced the air shocks with standard shocks. Any suggestions?

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

It sounds like you have broken springs causeing the car not to lift to correct level.
    I replaced my shocks with monroe shocks, and I by passed the auto fill system, and put an old school manual air valve to fill as I wanted it.

But if you adapted the nipple fromt he factory system to fit your monroe shocks it will work.. so if it is all hooked up proper with no leaks, it is your springs.. prolly the bottom coil is broken off. Both of mine where.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Deleted.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

there is leveling sensor on rear column. who analyze level and giving order to air compressor to pump that located up front on passenger side. your sensor broke !!!! i have same problem. to replace it for new part it like $400!!! so when i installed Monroe MA825 i just pump them with my garage air compressor to 80psi (80psi it normal pressure for catera. i found in alldata)
    but i didnt connect shock line to catera system just between each other and used valve that was include in Monroe installation kit.
    to stop light flash i just disable sensor.

globuslive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000 & Catera 2001

Hey guys. I installed today Monroe 825's. No issues, leveling works perfectly. what a problem did you have connecting original hoses to new connections??? All you have to do is to cut old end, put new or even keep old 1 O ring, and tight it to the shocks. That's all. No leaking, looks almost as original, and very tight ride. I love it so far. Will see how they go with the time.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.