Got Rid of Catera
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Got Rid of Catera in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi everyone- I had a 2000 Catera with only 75,557 miles on it when I got rid of it. I ...
    ahotcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Thumbs up Got Rid of Catera

Hi everyone-
    I had a 2000 Catera with only 75,557 miles on it when I got rid of it. I did not get rid of it because something was wrong. I saw the writing on the wall and felt that it was time to let go. I just had the coolant light come on because the sensor failed. I was able to repair it on my driveway, but there were many other things that were ready to break on it. I also recently had to replace a window regulator and the only place to get parts for it was the junk yard. Do not get me wrong, I loved my Catera and enjoyed most days with it. Mine was really reliable and never left me stranded in the 25,000 miles I owned it. I did have to replace the heater control valve once. I feel bad for the people who buy these blindly, expecting them to be reliable cars because they are cadillacs. To me, it was a cadillac, maybe not my Grandma's Deville, but it was a cadillac. Like I said, mine was reliable, but the majority tend not to be. I know that the newest catera available is eleven years old and age plays a big factor in reliability. All in all, I have to say that I enjoyed my catera for the time that I owned it and am happy that I got rid of it when nothing was wrong with it. By the way, I paid $6,000 for the car in 2009 and sold it for $4,400 now in 2012. As a side note, I got a 2006 Buick Lucerne CXL Northstar V8. Nothing is like the catera and it was a very unique car. If others have had similar experiences to mine, let the catera haters know that there are actually some good CADILLAC cateras out there that are reliable. For those of you who still have your catera, take good care of them and they will take good care of you.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Got Rid of Catera

For those of you who still have your catera, take good care of them and they will take good care of you.
    I did and the car still treated me like her bitch!

Pittipat is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 00 Catera

Katie, my Catera, hates me.

ahotcad is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

I guess I will just consider myself lucky then!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by kaustein

I did and the car still treated me like her bitch!
    Did you ever see it around again after that one time?

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Did you ever see it around again after that one time?
    I know where it "resides." I might drive by to see if it is there. But I was advised not to say anything to the present owner.

Doctur J is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Cadillac Catera

I have a 99 Catera I bought with 50K miles on it.I found out why it has 50K the hard way. Nice amenities, mechanically a nightmare! Since Dec 31, 2010 when I bought it, I have replaced the following:
    Radiator, electric water pump, fuel pressure regulator, ABS brake module, brake pad sensors, oil filter housing, spark plug coil pack, changed tranny fluid and filter (which still raises the tachometer when starting from a stop at times, as well as leaks spots), light bulbs and ballast (HID), along with other routine maintenance. In short, I know how to rebuild a Catera from the ground up!

It is a great car when it runs, but my neighbor would ask "What's wrong with it now"? I have spent more time under the hood and car then behind the wheel. Remember they would call it "Lisa"-well I call mine "Christine" after the movie with the '57 Plymouth that had a mind of its own.

Dear Cadillac-you did not learn your lesson with the Cimmaron, so why not stick to building the standard that made you America's best. The Catera, or the majority of them for those I talk to, are shamefully built and should have the Cadillac monicker attached to it-PERIOD! Since I've fought with my "Bitch", I'm going to keep her for a while until she becomes a REAL bitch!

FWIW, having to replace the radiator, bulbs, fuel pressure regulator, and an electric pump, on a nearly 14 year old vehicle, is not out of the ordinary. And if the pad wear sensors were worn through, the braking system wasn't being inspected often enough.

I'll say it again, my Toyota is 12 years old with 90k+ miles. Other than only non-wear items that I had to replace were two o2 sensors that I replaced myself.

When the cater was running, it was a very nice car to drive. However the last three years of ownership I never went more than 100 miles from home with it.

Well if you use older Toyotas or Hondas as the benchmark (which they very well may be), almost no vehicle stands a chance to compete with that level of reliability. But in general, after that amount of time, things need replacing.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    Well if you use older Toyotas or Hondas as the benchmark (which they very well may be), almost no vehicle stands a chance to compete with that level of reliability. But in general, after that amount of time, things need replacing.
    You are correct. However how many of us have changed the heater control valve, suffered water pump leaks, and cps failure. Those failures aren't do to things wearing out, more to poor design, quality control, and manufacturing.

Oh, don't get me wrong. I'm certainly not saying they're among the most reliable vehicles. Go back to post #8, I only listed a few items that should be considered expected repairs.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Kaustein is just a grumpy old troll who comes out from under his bridge to re-iterate his hate for Cateras and all who sail in them! Truth be told, I wonder about Kaustein's actual gender; his irrational, periodic return to this forum to express his rage against all things Catera would indicate a mid menopausal state of hysteria!

98Catera_2010 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Hahahahahahaha soooooo true.
    Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Kaustein is just a grumpy old troll who comes out from under his bridge to re-iterate his hate for Cateras and all who sail in them! Truth be told, I wonder about Kaustein's actual gender; his irrational, periodic return to this forum to express his rage against all things Catera would indicate a mid menopausal state of hysteria!

No troll. Live in upstate NY. I just don't want to see anyone buy any more of these truly crappy cars. And I like to pass on the knowledge that I have sadly obtained from owning these nightmare of a vehicle. If anything that I have said about this car is a lie, please let me know and I will correct my statement.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.