2002 Catera Oil Leak
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2002 Catera Oil Leak in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. My step mother-in-law has an '02 Catera with less than 60,000 miles on ...
    cadikev02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

2002 Catera Oil Leak

Hello all, and thanks for the welcome. My step mother-in-law has an '02 Catera with less than 60,000 miles on it and has recently begun leaking oil. There is seapage from the valve covers which I've learned reading on this forum is due to (probably) the plastic valve cover issue and seems like a pretty straightforward fix. The other leak seems to be coming from the front crank seal. On a car with such low mileage this is surprising but not unheard of. However, in reading here, there may be another source of the leak, the oil cooler/breather located in the intake manifold above the valley. Is it possible that a leak there would manifest itself down by the front seal? Are there oil lines that run up the front of the engine to this cooler?

Normally the car would go to their favorite mechanic but since she is now a widow, her costs must be watched more carefully. Cadillac wants near $900 for the crank seal fix, but also has not done a thourough check to see if that's what it actually is. Her everyday mechanic wants $600 for valve cover seals, a new timing belt, and front crank seal replacement (this doesn't seem too to bad to me).

Also, is there a good source to search for and thru recall notices?

What think ye?

Thanks for any help.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: 2002 Catera Oil Leak

Here's list of TSB's and recall notices for the 2001 Catera. She may have bought it in 2002, but there was no 2002 model Catera.

http://www.alldatadiy.com/TSB/08/010816gZ.html

T
    he valve cover gaskets are common, and as you have priced it, reasonable. Why don't you start there and see if it cuts down on most of not all of the oil leak? You can live with a bit of an oil leak as I have for years.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

For your step mother's piece of mind and information, read through these post. With that low mileage she might be able to get something for it on a trade for a decent, reliable car. The highest repair quote that the Caddy dealer gave me was for about $2300 for a new ABS module. Had it rebuilt and installed for about $450.

The car is a money pit. So bad so, that Caddy dealers don't like to work on them. They will give you outrageous quotes just so that you go elsewhere.

cadikev02 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None

investor74, thanks for the link, that will come in handy. I'm not a Caddy person, she's not a CAR person, so when she told me it was an '02, I just took her word for it. Now I know. The seeping gasket covers are'nt that big of a deal (at least for now anyway), it's the other leak that's the problem, she's having to put in a quart about every two weeks, and she hardly drives the thing. She still has a couple of mechanic options - friends of friends who are retired mechanics working out of their homes.

And kaustein, thanks for your input as well. I was looking at the stack of repair receipts she has and was wondering the same thing - "Is this car worth keeping?", and "What's next?" It may be tough to convince her to let it go, there's a real sentimental attachment there...we'll see.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by cadikev02 View Post
    investor74, thanks for the link, that will come in handy. I'm not a Caddy person, she's not a CAR person, so when she told me it was an '02, I just took her word for it. Now I know. The seeping gasket covers are'nt that big of a deal (at least for now anyway), it's the other leak that's the problem, she's having to put in a quart about every two weeks, and she hardly drives the thing. She still has a couple of mechanic options - friends of friends who are retired mechanics working out of their homes.

And kaustein, thanks for your input as well. I was looking at the stack of repair receipts she has and was wondering the same thing - "Is this car worth keeping?", and "What's next?" It may be tough to convince her to let it go, there's a real sentimental attachment there...we'll see.
    The causes of the camcover and crank seal leaks are most likely the same. The Crankcase Breather Box. When it clogs the pressure in the crankcase has no exit so it finds its own. Yes, the plastic camcovers will flex, that's its easiest escape route. The other is either the front or rear main seal. Sometimes both. Before spending money on the seals have the breather cleaned. The leaks may stop.

Courtesy oof the Omega Owners Forum:
    http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90653.0

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.