Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

Thread: new to me 01 cat. head gasket, want 5 speed

mazdarattiman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Catera

new to me 01 cat. head gasket, want 5 speed

hey everybody, im new to the cadillac scene and just got an 01 catera with 116k miles on her. i think the head gasket is out but havent looked into it yet. it has low enough miles that im willing to fix it whatever it may be, and i also have nothing into it so far. my boss paid 60 bucks for it, i drive the tow truck and went to get it as scrap steel, but wanted it since i drove it out of parking spot and its rwd . i am more than capable of doing any work on it, except rebuild auto trannys. id love to get as much power as i can for a reasonable price, and would go bananas if i could cross it to a 5-speed manual. any info on what i should look at right away or what to check would be much appreciated.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: new to me 01 cat. head gasket, want 5 speed

Before putting any extra money in the car, read the threads. It takes lots of cash or knowledge to keep a Craptera running.

mazdarattiman is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 01 Catera

i have read. the car runs fine but smokes white so im pretty sure the head gasket is out. at this point i have nothing into it, i got the car for free so i have some money to get it going. im not sure what i will do to it yet, whether it be fix or engine swap. just curious of the common things on an 01, i see its the oil cooler and tensioner on 97-99 but i dont know about the 01. ill replace tensioner and water pump and all that if i choose to do the head gasket just curious if there are obvious things to look for.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

This is my Catera Treatise. If you have questions after reading it fire away. I'll try to help.

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/t...y-elvin-rivera

For the skinny on the 5-speed you'll have to go to the Omega Owners Forum. Below is a start. It's copyrighted so I give credit where credit is due.

http://www.omegaowners.com/forum/ind...?topic=90592.0

Of course you'll have to procure the tranny from Europe/GB.
    Last edited by elvin315; 05-05-12 at 06:06 PM.