2001 catera engine light P0411
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2001 catera engine light P0411 in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi, just got 2001 catera engine light P0411, I am 3rd owner, car has 56k. Is the only problem can ...
    liweih21 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2001 catera engine light P0411

Hi, just got 2001 catera engine light P0411, I am 3rd owner, car has 56k. Is the only problem can cause is the secondary air induction or could be o2 sensors? Any drive ability and cause any other problems down the road?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Codes are meaningless without definitions, always include code definitions along with codes.

P0411 - Secondary Air Injection (AIR) System

First order of buisness: Is the A.I.R. pump/s operational? If not, check the relays, fuses and wiring to it/them.

Re: 2001 catera engine light P0411

I am new to catera having own honda civic and acura rsx.
    Are there faqs/links here already?

Also could it be other causes? I've seen people said is O2 sensors?

FAQs and links to? There are "sticky" threads at the top of each sub forum, as well as a tech tips section.

The O2 sensors have absolutely nothing to do with the A.I.R. system in any way. The point of the A.I.R. system is to allow the catalytic converters to heat up quickly at a cold start (the converters are only effective once they've reached operating temperature). There are codes specific to individual parts if the system, but your code is just a general code. That usually means the pump is inoperable.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

On my '97, there is a plastic SAI bypass valve that is physically mounted on the radiator (but has nothing to do with the cooling system). It has two air hoses attached to it. On my car, this plastic valve broke when we put in a new radiator. I believe the part has an odd easily broken location because it was added on to meet the US emissions when the Omega was imported as the Catera.

is there a dyi/diagram/link on how to do this my self if I found used functional one?

How to do what?
    What was the issue?
    A used, functional what?

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

250.00 buys a new secondary air pump and solinoid from caddy

anywhere else for cheaper? how do I change it myself was the question.

Take a look on rockauto, or get in touch with Chris at Rippy Cadillac (see list of vendors at the top right of the page) he offers discounts to forum members.

As for how to install it, look in the tech tips section, wait for another member to chime in, or buy an FSM.

.....have you diagnosed the problem yet?

hi, no. brought to iq autoworks in campbell, ca (i live around there) and just said p411 means that secondary air pump failed. I would like to do some diag my self if I have time. I heard other things may caused it instead. Where is the secondary pump anyway, can I see it in engine bay or is it between wheelwall and something else?

More often than not, that code does point to a failed pump. But it's easy enough to test just to be sure. You can command it on with a Tech II, or just simply power it directly with 12V.

I haven't the slightest idea where the lump is in a Catera, but just follow the A.I.R. lines back to it.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The pump is in the left front of the car by the radiator near the back side of the wheel house look up and you'll see it

TitanCTS is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

I'm chiming in to sort out some misconception on how this system works in our cars. Being a master tech myself and owning an 2001 Catera Sport for the past 6 years I have become very familiar with this cars systems which are pretty easy to diagnose seeing as how not much goes wrong with the engine's electronics. As far as P0411 goes, I've have this code come and go multiple times for me. For one, P0411 does not mean the pump is failed. The pump can be working perfectly fine including all the components leading after it.

What P0411 means is that the ECU is not seeing the right amount of air from the pump during the first 90+ seconds when the system is initialized. I can hear my pump operating and can feel the air being pushed out the back exhaust when the car is first started and still throw this code. I would also like to point out that the O2 sensors are the heart of the Secondary A.I.R. system, Why? Because they are the ONLY sensors for the A.I.R. system that measure the amount of air the cats are receiving from the pump and also measure the effectiveness of the Secondary Air system. If the ECU sees that the amount of air is insufficient for the 90+ seconds run time, then P0411 is triggered meaning INCORRECT FLOW DETECTED!

My car has 166k miles on it. It burns oil, about 1 quart per 1000 miles. My firm belief is since my car burns oil, The excess carbon from the burning oil have entered the Secondary air pipes mounted on the exhaust manifold and encountering sharp bends have become to block the air passages with carbon soot. I also know this for a fact because I have replaced my one way check valve far upstream from the manifolds and found carbon soot sticking to the valves of the old check valve. I have replaced my O2 sensors due to old age and found the code not to return for a while.

But it was a matter of time before the code returned. I have tried another solution that has been working ever since I've tried it, I purchased a bottle of Cataclean, which is full fuel system and exhaust system decarbonizer. I followed the directions on the bottle and ever since of using this solution in my fuel tank, The code has never returned. I have noticed more black carbon smoke from my exhaust @ WOT ever since using this product which shows that the carbon soot is being cleaned from the exhaust system including the Cats. Also the smell of the exhaust has changed to a cleaner more tolerable fume. It is recommended to be used every 3 months. So it is cleaning up the cats and allowing more air from the pump to effectively heat up the cats to the ECU's specs. For now this is just a band-aid treatment which has worked so far.

Hope that clears a few things up. BTW, Always use 93 octane fuel in these cars. Makes the car run better and cleaner.

I have purchased a used air pump is on its way. There is a possibility that is not the pump and could be anything else. I am hoping if once I replaced the pump the error code comes back the other causes will not be as expensive to fix (you know what i mean)?

What could be other causes? hoses? solenoid? o2? engine gasket?

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.