2001 Catera EBTCM removal and replaacement question?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Like Tree1Likes
  • 2 Post By elvin315
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2001 Catera EBTCM removal and replaacement question? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am going to attempt to remove and send off the module to be rebuilt. I have researched it and ...
    DJV8524 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

2001 Catera EBTCM removal and replaacement question?

I am going to attempt to remove and send off the module to be rebuilt. I have researched it and seems the route I'm going to go is removal of battery and radiator hose (end) connecting to the engine. I was wondering if there are any tips anyone has which would make this venture less difficult, since difficulty seems to be guaranteed to some degree. Any special tools which would benefit me in some way? Also, I have seen threads concerning wave springs, will these fall off before I get a chance to mark their location once I remove the module? Any help is appreciated. Basically, I am looking to avoid this as much as possible.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: 2001 Catera EBTCM removal and replaacement question?

No special tool required except maybe a magnetic probe to pick up the dropped screws and such. My tip is to remove the bolts for the bracket but just loosen one in the rear to act as a pivot and tilt the unit up/back. This will ease your access to the EBTCM's screws. No need to disconnect the hydraulic lines. There's just enough slack to allow the tilting. There are no "wave springs" so don't worry if you can't find any. Pulling the battery is a good idea but I don't remember the hose being in the way. Still, if you find it easier then by all means pull it. Try and cover the now opened area of the ABS Pump with plastic and duct tape to keep it clean while waiting for the EBTCM's return.
    DJV8524 and DJV8524 like this.

DJV8524 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Re: 2001 Catera EBTCM removal and replaacement question?

I know it's been a year but just wanted to comment on this in case anyone else needs extra tips. This was great advice and thanks for the input. The bracket trick makes a load of difference in the ease of this. Also correct in no need to remove the battery, but would give a little more room and natural light on the area. All in all this is a great do it yourself project and will save you from spending $1500.00 at the dealership, which was actually quoted. Free shipping and a rebuild, did it myself for $99.00 through a reputable guy through Ebay in Virginia. Guaranteed the work for life of ownership of the vehicle. Highly recommend this and save yourself some money. It was nice to have my speedometer back and the 'Christmas Tree' on the dash not lit up anymore. Once again thanks for your input.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    No special tool required except maybe a magnetic probe to pick up the dropped screws and such. My tip is to remove the bolts for the bracket but just loosen one in the rear to act as a pivot and tilt the unit up/back. This will ease your access to the EBTCM's screws. No need to disconnect the hydraulic lines. There's just enough slack to allow the tilting. There are no "wave springs" so don't worry if you can't find any. Pulling the battery is a good idea but I don't remember the hose being in the way. Still, if you find it easier then by all means pull it. Try and cover the now opened area of the ABS Pump with plastic and duct tape to keep it clean while waiting for the EBTCM's return.
    I know it's been a year but just wanted to comment on this in case anyone else needs extra tips. This was great advice and thanks for the input. The bracket trick makes a load of difference in the ease of this. Also correct in no need to remove the battery, but would give a little more room and natural light on the area. All in all this is a great do it yourself project and will save you from spending $1500.00 at the dealership, which was actually quoted. Free shipping and a rebuild, did it myself for $99.00 through a reputable guy through Ebay in Virginia. Guaranteed the work for life of ownership of the vehicle. Highly recommend this and save yourself some money. It was nice to have my speedometer back and the 'Christmas Tree' on the dash not lit up anymore. Once again thanks for your input.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.