Transmission Fluid Change
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission Fluid Change in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just went through FAQ and was surprised to see nothing regarding what you folks have done when the "lifetime" ...
    olddavid is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 93 Eldorado(sold)99 SLS(sold) 98Catera

Transmission Fluid Change

I just went through FAQ and was surprised to see nothing regarding what you folks have done when the "lifetime" trans fluid needs changing. I've been through this with an old VW Passat that was also dipstickless and supposedly unserviceable. What shortcuts and/or techniques have you used successfully? Is it possible to do like a trans. flush by careful measurement and using the cooler lines? Should I run from this car instead? What does it take, Mercon IV? Thanks in advance.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Transmission Fluid Change

Thanks anyway. My son showed me how to use google to access info. Great pics from Elvin. Thanks again for the fine pics.

I'm an idiot. My Dad always said if you don't know what you're talking about Shut the F#*k up. I neglected to take his advice. I don't know where I got the idea this was lifetime fluid. This morning I found the truth the hard way. But, now all I need to worry about is the next challenge from this car. You have to admit that for the price ($2900), when everything is right, the car is an excellent road warrior. My last project was a Lincoln Mk.VIII, and I have learned more than I'd like about pneumatic suspension. So you pay your money and take your chances.....

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by olddavid View Post
    I'm an idiot. My Dad always said if you don't know what you're talking about Shut the F#*k up. I neglected to take his advice. I don't know where I got the idea this was lifetime fluid. This morning I found the truth the hard way. But, now all I need to worry about is the next challenge from this car. You have to admit that for the price ($2900), when everything is right, the car is an excellent road warrior. My last project was a Lincoln Mk.VIII, and I have learned more than I'd like about pneumatic suspension. So you pay your money and take your chances.....
    How did you know you had to change the transmission fluid? We've had our Catera since September 1996 and never checked or changed the fluid. The owner's manual says you don't even have to check it unless you use it in heavy city traffic when the outside temperature exceeds 90 deg F, in hilly or mountainous terrain, frequent trailer towing, or use as a taxi, police or delivery vehicle. If you do not use your vehicle under any of these conditions, the fluid and filter do not require changing

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

This has nothing to do with your question, my late wife and I spent a lot of time in the Yahats area years ago, Depoe bay is a very nice little town, is
    the cafe still there ( the one with the model train running around) that has the best clam chowder in the world?.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Life time means 100,000 after that use common sence it needs changed do the filter drain the trans at the pan and refill it pull the plug on the side of the trans and fill it there okdoke

That makes me smile. My next door neighbor when I first moved here probably cooked your chowder. His name is Gregory Danna, the cafe is called, appropriately, the Chowder Bowl. He is one of my best friends as well as a fantastic intuitive cook. Your comment will please him from stem to stern. Thank you on his behalf.

creeker is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): 1992 eldorado. 2007 dodge magnum hemi r/t

Thanks for your reply, you live in a beautiful part of the world.

Ingrid37 is offline Banned

Thanks anyway. My son showed me how to use google to access info.

IvoryWhiteCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera (SOLD)

What is all this talk about lifetime transmission fluid? I think it's time to change mine. It's at 161,000 miles and I've noticed a little grind between 2nd and 3rd gear. Does anyone have any idea how much a job like this costs?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    1 hours labor plus fluid.

What do you mean by a "grind" between shifts? Any actual grinding in a transmission is terminal.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Hello Folks: The trans in my 97 went south last year (posted here). Had 2 put in in the span of 3 months. Not the best shop in town. Anyhow, this morning when driving to work (about 20 miles), I pulled up to my first traffic light, stopped. When I tried to drive on the trans was still in high gear. I shifted to 1st and it pulled away just fine. Then the " check trans " light came on. Due to my type of work I had to procede on to my destination. I drove it like it was a standard, and shifted at about 2M rpm. It seems to shift up and down just fine, but not when the selector is in the "d" position. Please tell me this is a minor fix!!! Regards, Brian

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Are you getting diagnostic codes or a check engine or trasmission light? Also, check the battery voltage on the dash when the car is running. I like to see 13.5 volts. I found that the Catera trans is hyper sensitive to low voltage from a weak battery or alternator.

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

investor74, Yeah, there were codes. The battery (GM) is only a few months old, and the volage showing on the meter is between 13.0 and 14.5, so that seems okay. The tech got a code for a failed "hight pressure" valve or switch. He's putting it in as I type. Well, I just got a call and the part worked, but he's not totally please with the smell of the fluid. He suggested I drive it for a couple of weeks then he'll change the fluid again. Does that make sense to anyone? Regards, Brian

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I changed mine at 123K and the mech said it looked as if it had been opened before. I never had any problems with it.
    I dont belive a 2000 required synthetic either.

i think a tranny fluid change is good maintanance. and i would not recomend 100K intervals. I think 50-60K is much wiser.

i know to many ppl that never changed it till 100K and 1500 miles later tranny shot.. a lot of shops will refuse a change if you dont have proof it has already been done due to the failure of so many trannies after a 100K change only.

the fill untill trannies are a pain in the ass. not like the old dipstick ones.

i belive mine took 10 qts ... OH and there are 2 differant pans on the catera!! 2 differant gaskets.. be sure to have the correct one, or permatex!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.