1999 Catera problems
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1999 Catera problems in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Hi I have a 1999 Catera and love it. I am having problems that are confusing me. The engine light ...
    mrkap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

1999 Catera problems

Hi I have a 1999 Catera and love it. I am having problems that are confusing me. The engine light is on and is riding rough in idol and on initial acceleration. I had a complete tune up and had the 1-3-5 panel changed so far. When we hook up the computer it tells us in idol the 1-3-5 cylinders are misfiring. But when you give her some gas the problem is gone.
    I have taken her to a few mechanics and each has his own thoughts. I am not ready for these guys to start changing more stuff on my baby that is necessary. So far I got the timing belt and the Fuel Injector system as probable causes. Can someone please give me an idea of what it may be?

Thank you

Peter

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    What codes are you getting? P0301, P0303, and P0305? Are there any lean mixture codes?
    The timing belt isn't the problem.

mrkap is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: 1999 Catera problems

The only codes we got are the P0301, P0303, and P0305 .
    With the Computer hooked up and giving her gas the codes stop and all is fine

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera

Good Morning All: I recently had the identical problem, and my garage found water on the coil unit. As it turned out I went to a new car wash for the first time that morning. I opted for the full package that included the underbody wash. Apparently the underwash spray was so strong it fired water all the way up the back of the engine drowning it. It drove like crap all the way to work. Once the engine got heated up it dried out the water. Off course the codes were still there until I cleared them. I also had a code for multiple misfires. Maybe??? Regards, Brian

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Does the '99 Catera have plug wires, or had they already changed to coil on plug? If it has wires, are they original?

AZ Sundancer is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera 3.0

Hello, I have a 2001 Catera, and I am also having the same problem. My Catera has no wires just coil packs, which I have replaced with new ones. I have to start it and take rpm to 4K then while holding it there the rpm will drop down to below 500 rpm and run like crap. Then I do the same thing maybe 7-8 times and then the rpm will hold at 4K and runs fine, I let off and idle will drop down to around 500 then in a few seconds will go up to around 700 on it's own. I can rev it up and it bogs just a little then runs fine. Let it sit until it get cold then the same thing all over again. Can anyone help, Please. Thanks in advance.

PrimeTimeElite is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 1999

I have a '99 and it uses coil packs. I found misfires and similar problems when oil (leaking from the cam cover gaskets) was present in the injector wells. Out of the six, a couple were drowning in oil. If you recently had a tune-up, they should have checked for this and extracted anything but you can easily remove the 1-3-5 coil (2-4-6 lies under a bunch of electronics and is quite a pain) and check for oil. If you can, I would also check the spark boots and replace them as required. I've seen them on eBay from the UK but I had some decent luck with a local uPull-and-Pay for decent replacements. This alone may fix your misfires.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.