2000 Catera disable trani check "S" light flashing sometimes
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Catera disable trani check "S" light flashing sometimes in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; ...
    matrixebiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera and 2008 CTS4

2000 Catera disable trani check "S" light flashing sometimes

Hello, how can I disable the check that the car does with the Transmission? Looks like when the “S” light starts to flash, it starts in Second gear so take off is slow but if I manually shift to First, then Second, etc then it seems fine. So I would like to turn off this Trani check since it is fine but this condition check must be electronically controlling it to not shift into First when you stop and take off.

Chris

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

You can't "disable" it. The light flashing indicates that there is a problem, and a DTC has been set. You'll have to pull the trouble codes and repair the problem. If you don't have access to a scan tool, some parts stores will pull the codes free of charge.

Re: 2000 Catera disable trani check "S" light flashing sometimes

I've ordered a Code scanner off eBay, just waiting for it to come in. I have a feeling I'm going to need it Just bought the car and guess what, Check Engine light is on, what a shock
    I had that "S" light flash come one before then when I parked it for the night, never came back on for weeks until now again. I'm not sure if I'm accidentally pushing the "S" button on the shifter while I'm driving if that is causing it to come on. I'll see if when I leave work if it is still on. What is a DCT?

Thanks

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    DTC- Diagnostic Trouble Code....The codes that you will use the scan tool to "pull" from the car.

A DTC is set when one of the vehicles monitored systems or components is not operating as intended. Not all DTCs will trigger the check engine light (actually, very few will). Some DTCs will trigger other things, ABS/TC lights, air bag lights, and other various warning lights/messages. Many codes won't trigger any warnings at all, and you'll only know about them if you pull the codes (and of course when something isn't working).

----------

When you get your scan tool, it will come with a booklet of code definitions. When posting codes on these forums, I strongly suggest using the definitions on this site, and not the ones that are in the booklet: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2p.html#pow

Is the scan tool you ordered capable of pulling ALL codes, or just "P" (powertrain) codes?

ondale is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Had the same problem and fixed it. Check the recent forum posts. I replaced the Neutral Safety Switch (has many different names)
    Bought the part from Amazon.com ACDelco E2297 Switch Assembly

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...00_i00_details

Hope this helps

Thanks for the info guys. The trani light hasn't come back on and there was no DTC code about it so I'll just leave it for now and get the Safety Switch later if continues. The code I do have is P0135 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Heater Performance Bank 1 Sensor 1 for which I started a new thread on getting help to fix that. Have no idea where to check voltages for loose wires and such.

salata58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera 2001

hello,
    i just got my car back from the mechanic and what iam about to tell you will save you money and solve the problem.
    the s light flashing and causing the car to stall is caused by the camshaft, try disconnecting the camshaft sensor and see if the problem goes away. mine did so replacing the camshaft will solve the issue.
    camshaft sensor is located on the right side of the engin its easy to disconnect as its visable you cant miss it.

goodluck

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.