about 10 different codes... please help!
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, about 10 different codes... please help! in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; P0140 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2) P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire ...
    inna-catera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000

about 10 different codes... please help!

P0140 O2 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2)

P0300 Random/Multiple Cylinder Misfire Detected

P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire Detected

P0411 Secondary Air Injection System Incorrect Flow Detected

P0500 Vehicle Speed Sensor

P1700 Gear Shift Ratio/ Transmission sticking problem/ PS not working

P1460 CADILLAC - Cooling Fan Control System

U2108 I think this one is lost communication with ABS/TCS

DTC P1870 TCC Stuck Off

B1552 Keep Alive Memory (KAM) Error

B1558 BCM EPROM Checksum Error

So. As you can tell, this car has a lot of things to fix. Can anyone tell me where to start? What do I need to fix first? I have been researching online a little and some people are saying that changing my speed sensor will not change anything that I need to change my EBTCM. . . Please Help? My dad will be helping me fix everything, we wanna try to do it all ourselves. I'm debating fixing bare minimum and selling it...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: about 10 different codes... please help!

Wow. I don't know where to start. However disconnect the battery for a few minutes, hook it up, start car and check the codes then.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

If the battery reset doesn't work I'd move to the Vehicle Speed Sensor. Most of the other codes relate to exhaust emissions and aren't critical to daily driving. The U2108 indicates the EBTCM is down. It depends on input from the Speed Sensor to drive the speedometer, ABS, and the other systems the EBTCM controls. I forget which of the wheels holds the sensor but I'm sure someone will inform us.

If the sensor passes move on to the EBTCM. I sent mine to Module Masters and they fixed it for roughly $170 with a 5 year warranty. The EBTCM is attached to the ABS Pump and can be removed with out losing any brake fluid or braking performance.

The Transmission trouble could also be related to the EBTCM but I doubt it. With trannies I start with the basics. I'd change the fluid and filter and go from there.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Are these codes current or history?
    What's your battery voltage with the engine OFF? (preferably after being off for at least 30 minutes or so)

I got the test done last week so their current. I will try to do the battery reset and ill let you guys know what happens. Thanks so much for all your input so far!

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Quote Originally Posted by inna-catera
    I got the test done last week so their current.
    Just because they showed up on the scan tool last week doesn't mean that they're current. OBD stores codes even after the condition that set them is no longer present. The codes are stored as HISTORY codes until they are either cleared, or enough driving cycles are completed without the condition reoccurring. A decent scan tool will distinguish between CURRENT and HISTORY codes.

I will try to do the battery reset and ill let you guys know what happens. Thanks so much for all your input so far!
    Make sure to check the voltage as well. Low voltage can cause all sorts of electrical gremlins, as well as random/false codes. Having a bunch of seemingly random codes (especially history codes, which is why I asked) can be a sign of low voltage. Your KAM error and checksum error codes point directly to either low voltage, or a battery that was recently disconnected.

And again, battery voltage is tested with the engine OFF, preferably after being off for at least 30 minutes. A fully charged, healthy battery will read 12.6 volts. 12.1/12.0 is pretty much dead. Below 12.0 is toast.

----------

If and when you do the "battery reset" don't just disconnect it. Disconnect BOTH terminals, and touch them to each other for ~30 seconds.

----------

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315
    The U2108 indicates the EBTCM is down. It depends on input from the Speed Sensor to drive the speedometer, ABS, and the other systems the EBTCM controls.
    That code indicates a loss of communication with the EBTCM, nothing to do with individual sensors. (and AGAIN, loss of communication codes, and U codes in general are common with low voltage) Is that code CURRENT?

IF your voltage is not low, and IF that code is current:
    -Follow the steel brake lines from the master cylinder to the EBTCM. Inspect the ground wire and terminal. Make sure it is tight and free of corrosion.

-Unplug the electrical connector from the EBTCM. Inspect the pins. Make sure they are not bent, and that they are free of corrosion. Plug in and unplug the connector several times to clean any corrosion off of the contact points. Clean the pins/contacts with electrical cleaner, and Plug the connector back in. Make sure it is secure.

I forget which of the wheels holds the sensor but I'm sure someone will inform us.
    What sensor? The speed sensor? The VSS (vehicle speed sensor) is in/on the transmission. There are also wheel speed sensors at each front wheel, and on each side of the diff.

----------

Corrections to some of your code definitions:

P0140 - Heated Oxygen Sensor (HO2S) Circuit Insufficient Activity Bank 1 Sensor 2

P1700 - Transmission Control Module (TCM) Requested MIL Illumination

P1870 - Transmission Component Slipping

In the future, use this site for OBD II code definitions: http://myweb.accessus.net/~090/dtcobd2p.html#pow

wow. thanks so much that is such good information! again Thanks so much for your time and help. Will be trying all this tonight.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Good suggestions so far. Also, what symptoms does you car have that caused you to scan the codes?

ok so I was driving and all of a sudden my "sport mode" sign comes on and is flashing. When I came to a stop and tried to accelerate again, I had to pretty much floor it to make the car move at all. I looked in the Owner's Manual and it said that its either problems with the transmission or the sensor. Also my ABS, Traction and check engine lights were on.

oh yeah and also my speedometer isnt working.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

YOur car went into fail safe mode due to your computer reading many problems. This can happen for many reasons.
    I think you need to start with a rebuild on your comonant.. the what was it ebctm It sounds like its bad... also the speed sensor as suggested.. those 2 would be what I would do first.
    What yr?? 99 and newer.. check Throttle body connection for cracks, moisture... that set mine into "limp mode" also.

Hey guys, I just wanted to update ya'll. I got the EBTCM rebuilt, and the traction and abs lights went out... I went to auto zone to get the computer read again cus it still said check engine and it said that I need to change the oxygen sensor.

There is still one problem that I don't understand. once in a while, the "S" light for sport mode comes on flashing and when I try to accelarate, I have to floor it to make the car move at all... any ideas?

Greg_Zeboray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Mine will - very occasionaly - do the same thing, and you have to floor it becuase it is stuck in high gear. I just stop, shut the car off (to reset it) and start right back up.

I have been doing the same thing. Is there a way to fix this? What causes it?

Greg_Zeboray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

No idea how as it needs to do it while on the computer. I just live with it, but then again it only happens every few monthes to me.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.