Muddy coolant
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Muddy coolant in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well my coolant light came on today. So I checked the resavior and it looks like it has mud in ...
    98CadiCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Muddy coolant

Well my coolant light came on today. So I checked the resavior and it looks like it has mud in it. Does any one have any idea what would cause this? Should i do or flush or it this more to this issue. This problem happened on my 1998 cadillac catera.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: Muddy coolant

How long have you owned the car? Have you checked the coolant before and it was nice and orange (or green or whatever)? The reason I ask is that maybe the previous owner used stop leak which turns the coolant brown.

If the coolant is very old or highly diluted, you may have some rust in there. Either way, it wouldn't hurt to change the coolant.

98CadiCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

I haven't had the car that long. It didn't look this color when I bought it. I would understand if it was rusty water but it's more like muddy. I say that because it's brown and kinda on the thick side. It's has like a oily feel to it. It's almost like oil has gotten in the coolant somehow. And I just noticed it leaking in the passenger floor board. So I guess I'm going to have to replace the heater core. I would appreciate all the help I can get on this problem. Thanks

bomkok is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Muddy generally indicates engine oil in your coolant.
    This car has an oil to coolant heat exchanger built into the V of the block, below the intake plenoms, which is notorious for going bad (leaking).
    If you check the stickied thread at the top titled "known issues", you should be able to find much info about this. The heat exchanger is more commonly refered to as the oil cooler if that helps your search.
    This may not be the problem with your car, but it's the most likely culprit.

ondale is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

It sounds like the Engine Oil Cooler is bad. The Dexcool antifreeze also runs around the oil cooler to keep the engine oil cool. When there is a leak in the cooler, oil mixes with the Dexcool/Antifreeze, and you find the mud, or as I refer to it as "chocolate pudding" in the tank. Unscrew the oil cap in the engine and see if you see a milky substance around the inside of the cap or along the inside of tube where you would fill it with motor oil. Milk substance there + "chocolate pudding" in the antifreeze/Dexcool tank means bad Engine Oil Cooler. Search the forum for Engine Oil Cooler as they are a known bad problem with all Cateras. GM has since redesigned them, but they are a pain to replace (complex to get at) and a new oil cooler runs about $350 on ebay. Hope this helps

darrick69 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2006 cts 2.8L

WOW i was driving my cts a while ago and she started reving real high about 4000 rpm and i was barely accelerating got home check coolant because light came on but it also came on coupkle days ago i filled it and cam on again now my coolant is muddy i have no idea what it could be does anyone know how bad this could be?

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Either coolant or transmission fluid is mixing with the coolant, due to a failed cooler. Coolant in the oil is bad, coolant in the transmission is worse. Check both, and see which one is too high/contaminated.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by darrick69 View Post
    WOW i was driving my cts a while ago and she started reving real high about 4000 rpm and i was barely accelerating got home check coolant because light came on but it also came on coupkle days ago i filled it and cam on again now my coolant is muddy i have no idea what it could be does anyone know how bad this could be?
    According to Wikipedia:
    (The CTS's 2.8 V6) was developed by the same international team responsible for the Ecotec, including the Opel engineers responsible for the 54° V6, with involvement with design and development engineering from Ricardo plc.

The 2.8L 60 degree V6 is similar to the Catera's 3.0 L 54 degree V6 and probably the same oil cooler set-up. Ours can leak with tradgic consequenses. Do not run the engine with "muddy" coolant. Check your dipstick and you'll find "mayonaise" oil. It will cause every bearing in the engine to burn or sieze. See if Cadillac will fix it under warranty. Probably not but it's worth a call or ten.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.