1998 catera smells hot. 50k miles
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 1998 catera smells hot. 50k miles in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; hello, I have a 98 catera, 50k miles. The car was working fine until i washed the car in the ...
    hillz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 98 catera

Question 1998 catera smells hot. 50k miles

hello,

I have a 98 catera, 50k miles. The car was working fine until i washed the car in the drive way, he did nothing special but just wash is and soap it down. To let the car dry i took it out on the highway it was a very nice day. well the car started to over heat and the temp went all the way to max and the light came on. I pulled over and let it cool down, started it up again and it did the same thing so i turned on the air like the manual said to pull air through the radiator. ( this car was owned by my mom previously and it had everything done to it and was taken care of and all fluids are fine) . So i get the car home, let it sit then drive it again after a few hours well the service engine soon light came on and so i took it to autozone and they checked it. They said it was running at high rpms but that it was a little on the hot side ( i could of told them that). So now it runs with the temp 3/4 near top of gauge and i smell a hot smell when the car sits and runs for a while, the fans do kick on but i get that hot smell . Does anyone know what could be wrong? i will attach a pic of the temp gauge taken few days ago.

http://img545.imageshack.us/img545/6017/img2082oy.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: 1998 catera smells hot. 50k miles

Change the thermostat

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Is the radiator/overflow tank full?

If not, could be a water pump leak or heater control valve that is bad

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    Is the radiator/overflow tank full?

If not, could be a water pump leak or heater control valve that is bad
    all the fluids are topped off, no leaks at all. I will look into the heater control valve , thermostat. thanks for the input guys.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Did you spray under the hood? If so it could be one of the fan fuses blew. Same for the aux water pumps. The gauge at 3/4 is high but not dangerous. Red zone is. Your heads should be safe but get this fixed before summer temps come around.

i checked both fused boxes, under the hood and under the steering wheel and no fuses were blown. The fans do kick on when the temp gauge is at the temp in the picture. I didnt spray under the hood, just wheel wells and thats it.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I dont think the wash has a thing to do with problem... coolant is not flowing prperly... the fans are turning on, so the sensors are all working proper.

is coolant clean? thermostat sounds logical... there are 2 waterpumps... and the control valve as mentioned.. possibly plugged shoot whats that thing int he firewall area.. its like a mini radiator.. I can not think of the name... .

I would say coolant is not flowing properly.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

in my situation it was aux water pump (one that close to overflow tank) burn out, i replaced with another one from junk yard works grate now.
    but i got in more problem cuz that burning pump over heat and creaked my radiator so had to replace my radiator too(((

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

At 50k the repairs start! Suggestion. Once you get it fixed, get rid of it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.