2001 Catera ABS/TC/Check Lights On, No Speedometer
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2001 Catera ABS/TC/Check Lights On, No Speedometer in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; RESOLVED: This issue was fixed by replacing Fuse #19 (ABS (10A)) under the left side of the steering column. If ...
    Smark is offline Cadillac Owners Member

'01 Catera ABS/TC/CEL On, No Speed/Odo [FIXED]

RESOLVED: This issue was fixed by replacing Fuse #19 (ABS (10A)) under the left side of the steering column. If this solution doesn't work for you, my research shows that you probably need to have your EBTCM rebuilt or replaced. This will cost $400-$500 with removal, shipping to ModuleMasters, fee to rebuild, shipping back, and re-installation.

Hello everyone,

Well bonehead mistake I made tonight while jump starting my car. I reversed the polarity. No explosions just a few sparks (THANK GOD), and the smell of electricity. Anyway, car started and runs "fine" except for the fact that that there's some odd stuff on the dash:

Not Working: Speedometer
    Working: Temp, Tach, Fuel, Oil

Lights Illuminated: Leveling stays on for a bit, ABS, TC, and Check Engine stay on while car is running.

I pulled out my OBDII reader (Torque) and got the same information. Most of the sensors are working internally it looks like (I can still view stuff like throttle, engine temp, etc). Torque doesn't give me readings for Speed. I looked at the engine faults and I found:

U2108
    P1700

Some quick research shows that this issue can generally be fixed by replacing the EBCTM (Electronic Braking Control TractionControl Module). From what I've been able to find it's located under the dash. I have no problem shelling out the cash to replace this (or have it replaced if it's not an easy fix). My concern is that it might be something much simpler: A fuse or a fried wire. Any suggestions on what to check?

THIS thread shows someone who has a similar issue and had the module removed, sent it to have someone rebuild it, then reinstalled for ~$450. $450 seems very reasonable. Can a car be driven without the EBTCM?

Given that we know there could have been some sort of an overload on some of the engine control systems, what do you guys think?

As always, any help would be greatly appreciated. This truly is a great community.

Thank you for your time.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Re: 2001 Catera ABS/TC/Check Lights On, No Speedometer

Not sure if the '01's are the same, but on my '97, fuse #19 is the ABS / TCM.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The p1700 is the trans control module and the u2108 is the ebctm module clear the codes and wait about 45 seconds see if they reset check the fuses if they are ok replace the modules let me know what happenssssss

----------

From everything i just read on alldata the ebcm is going to have to be replaced

I'm planning on checking the fuses but a lot of the relays are impossible to tell if they're blown. You're correct that on '97/'98 Cateras that Fuse #19 is the ABS. Below is the fuse layout for '99-'01 Cateras:

If there is a chance that the correct fuse is located under the dash I can post the fuse layout for that also. A quick look shows that it's similar to the other fuse layout in the fact that there is nothing that indicates direct EBTCM/ABS involvement, only relays for the horn and turn signals.

Any idea what Fuse #X means on the "ECM Housing Unit" fuse box? What do these fuses go to? I have all the wiring diagrams available but that gets complicated tracing the routes through the electrical system. Does ABS/EBTCM have a fuse on the '01?

Any way to tell if a relay is blown/damaged without a multimeter or some other testing device?

Thanks again!

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Look at the silver colored band inside the fuse. If the band is broken or melted, the fuse is bad. I'd start with the fuses under the dash. The fuses on the battery are "MaxiFuses" which would affect major sections of the car rather than the individual circuits on the fuses under the dash. Your problems seem to be fairly isolated, so I'd start under the dash.

Hello again everyone!

Good 'ole Fuse #19 (ABS) saved me a lot of money!

I followed everyone advice and decided to check the fuses. I didn't even bother to look at the diagram and just pulled them one at a time and check to see if they were blown. I get to #19 and see it's blown and check the diagram out of curiosity. Sure enough it's the ABS. I swapped the Hi-Beam fuse (also 10A) with the ABS so I can drive to Checker to buy a new fuse. Also, if you just remove the Hi-Beam fuse and leave the Hi-Beam relay plugged in it starts making this ugly buzzing noise. So I removed the relay and the noise went away, got a new fuse, install it, re-installed the relay and now everything is working happily!

Once again, thank you all here at Cadillac Forums for your amazing advice and expertise. What a great community.

Thank you for your time.

Edit: I've edited the original post and added a solution to the problem.

FWP
    FWP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Guys

I just joined this forum to research the same problem with my 2000 Catera.

I have a feeling it is the EBTCM because sometimes the TC and ABS lights go out and the speedometer starts working again. When this happens I can hear a click in the center of the dash above the console.

Are there any diagrams or instructions online I can refer to get to the EBTCM if it is not the fuse? What does the EBTCM look like?

BTW thanks in advance for the help.

Frank

Greg_Zeboray is offline Cadillac Owners Member

It is the module not a fuse. I had the exact problem (you can find my post from a year or two ago asking about this very issue) - including everything working when they felt like it. Had the Module rebuilt by ModuleMaster and the problem was gone for good. As to where it is I have no idea; my mechanic replaced for me for $100.00.

FWP
    FWP is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Thank you!

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

ITS ABS MODULE !!!!! its pain ass to remove it but it will work !!!! u need to remove brake fluid canister then unscrew all brake lines from ABS pump (USE special key wrench for lines) then remove ABS assemble, remove module from pump, send it to re-builders, i payed $120. put everything back together after 1 week of waiting my module. everything works !!!!!!

ocomofanatic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport

Wow, I am SOOO glad I am a member of this forum. Sure enough, my #19 fuse was blown!! Seeing as no one around my area knows how to work on these Catera's, I went and purchased a Tech Force 2 scanner. This was probably one of the wisest purchases I have made. The last time I had my mechanic check and clear the codes on my car, she wouldn't run. Try being stuck at home with no wheels for two weeks!! Anyways, my mechanic couldn't figure out what happened and my scanner hadn't arrived yet. Read through the forums, unplugged the MAF sensor and she runs! This forum has helped me IMMENSELY and saved me a ton of money!! Thanks to everyone in the Catera forums from a female do it yourselfer.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.