97 Catera Oil cooler re-assembly milky oil in intake
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 97 Catera Oil cooler re-assembly milky oil in intake in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I put the finishing touches on my elderly neighbors 97 Catera oil cooler, o-ring, intake, and valve cover gasket repair ...
    kobrien8 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2003 SLS 2009 CTS Premuim 2009 SRX Sport

97 Catera Oil cooler re-assembly milky oil in intake

I put the finishing touches on my elderly neighbors 97 Catera oil cooler, o-ring, intake, and valve cover gasket repair and I started the car and had very very milky white oil dripping out of one of the vacuum lines on the back of the intake plenum. I took the whole plenum off and had a lot of this substance dripping out of the bottom. The intake tubes were totally coated and down at the bottom of those tubes they were both full of this substance. My question is this....were these tubes probably full at the bottom when I started the job and now the car is sucking it back up though the intake, and the problem will be solved once I clean out the bottom of the intake tubes and obviously do another oil change.....or is this coming from somewhere else? The oil on the dipstick is milky white as well, along with the oil covering the cams (I pulled the oil fill tube to look inside). I only let the car run for about 45 seconds, so how did all of this oil get contaminated? Here are some pictures of what I found.....

Here is the intake..
    IMAG0141.jpg

Here are the rear intake vacuum lines
    IMAG0142.jpg

Here are the bottom of the intake tubes, full of this stuff!
    IMAG0143.jpg

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: 97 Catera Oil cooler re-assembly milky oil in intake

I believe that that is an indication of water somewhere it isn't suppose to be.

Well I was given the task of fixing the car because it was leaking oil and antifreeze like crazy. The antifreeze was coming from the oil cooler plate, the oil was from the valve cover gaskets. The oil cooler was also leaking oil in to the antifreeze. I put everything back together, with fresh oil and antifreeze and for some reason the intake is full of this stuff.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

The Catera equivalent of a PCV valve is the "breather" located on the back of the engine. Search some past threads, members have posted instructions for cleaning it.

I am at a complete loss here.....I took everything apart again, cleaned every single part including the breather box, and re-assembled everything from the lower intake flange upward and the car started perfectly. It ran great for about 2 minutes then started running rough. I shut it off only to find the milky white oil pouring out of the intake plenum and down the intake tubes again!!!!! How is this happening? The intake sucks air from the outside, yet it is dumping "oil" right out the front of the intake. I am at a complete loss. I have searched this forum for hours and can't come up with anything. If it was my car I would just junk it, but its for my neighbor and he wants to keep it, especially now that he has dumped money in to the oil cooler fix! How in the world is oil blowing out the top like that??

rruff98 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

hello, did anyone figure this problem? i think i might have the same issue... i got the oil filler cap full of the milky sludge and its leaking coolant in the back engine...its cold here right now in alberta but i suspect its my oil cooler so im planning on relocating it with external oil cooler. but my other problem is it will start and die right away if my intake is full of this sludge the engine is not getting any air and chocked and stall the engine if my assumption is correct. it has 231k. also with the breather can i run an oil catch can instead of running it thru the breather box again? im hoping the weather gets nice here in alberta so i can start my operation of my catera i miss driving it.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

heater control valve broken inside, air hose that controlling valve position now sucking coolant that traveling all way to intake and then in to cylinders where create miss fire

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.