Cadillac Owners Forum banner
1K views 7 replies 3 participants last post by  shakushinnen 
#1 ·
As per owners manual, should be using minumum 91 octane rating. So my question is, is there anyone who can explain the advantages or disadvantages of running 93? Too high? Will it harm engine life? If so, what is the optimum rating for the best performance/longevity of a 2000 Catera Sport with 60,000 miles on it? And finally.. What's the very best oil for her?

Thanks to anyone who can help, I've never owned a car like this... all the cars I've owned in the past, had something on top of the engine called a "carburetor".

#2 · (Edited)
93 is certainly not too high, that is why they say 91 minimum. 93 (and i think 95) is the highest they offer in regular gasoline, thats not racing spec. It shouldnt harm the engine. 87 will work even- because of knock sensors , the only thing that will happen is the timing is retarded slightly to cope. Using 87, 89, 91, 93 or 95 wont harm the engine. Higher octane means a slower burn, reducing the possibllity of knock and detonation. My word is- 87 works, but 91/93 is the reccomended and you wont risk anything by using it. So go with that.

Best oil usually for any car is Mobil One and Mobil One Drive Clean.

Welcome to fuel injection. lol.

To add... Unlike carburated cars, a computer controls the emmissions, knock, ignition timing, air/fuel ratios and etc. The catera, also has built in protection features so if somethings not right with the engine it will shutdown (if serious enough where it cant control) or give numerious caution lights.

#4 ·
Hi Catscnfly,
I own a 99 Catera and I use 94 octane. It seems to work fine; but that's not why I'm writing. You say that you filled up with 93 octane and the check engine light went out. I was under the impression that once one of these control panel lights go on they don't go off by themselves???
John

#5 ·
The computer actively scans (during certain preset times based on speed and driving) and monitors all components of itself. If theres a problem it will post the errorcode turning on the CEL. Depending on its occurance, if the problem dissappears then the CEL may go off. If its something thats not always used, like the heat circuit used to jumpstart the o2 sensor on cold starts... it will keep that posted to let you know that there is a problem with it via a CEL.

I think that explains it easy enough. Depending on the problem thats how it reports it.

#6 ·
Hi Jeffery,
I was thinking of my gas cap problem when I posted this queery. You'll recall I was having problems with it setting off the "check engine" warning light. Do you think that this warning would clear itself if it reoccurs; and about how much time do these things usually take, if they do reset themselves.
Thanks,
John

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.