Potential Catera Owner - Page 4
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Potential Catera Owner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Everyone does does post on here about the cars they are MONEY PITS period yeah they have some nice things ...
    hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Potential Catera Owner

Everyone does does post on here about the cars they are MONEY PITS period yeah they have some nice things about them but come on they are CRATERAS nuf said all MERRY CHRISTMAS and a craptera NEW YEAR

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I know kaustein doesn't have a Catera anymore so all he's doing is trolling for a fight. I'm not sure whether hemic05 owns one anymore but he's no better. Even staunch fans of the Catera admit that she's not perfect. We're not trying to con anyone. You calling my car a piece of crap is insulting and I don't appreciate it. Basically you're calling me an idiot for liking my car. If you insist on complaining, thinking you're doing someone a favor, then fine. Go right ahead. But if you keep using the "craptera" name I'm going to ask the administrator to ban you both.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    I know kaustein doesn't have a Catera anymore so all he's doing is trolling for a fight. I'm not sure whether hemic05 owns one anymore but he's no better. Even staunch fans of the Catera admit that she's not perfect. We're not trying to con anyone. You calling my car a piece of crap is insulting and I don't appreciate it. Basically you're calling me an idiot for liking my car. If you insist on complaining, thinking you're doing someone a favor, then fine. Go right ahead. But if you keep using the "craptera" name I'm going to ask the administrator to ban you both.
    Yeah, I don't own anymore, but I did for 6 years and the car is crappy and it isn't just my opinion.

http://www.edmunds.com/cadillac/cate...html?sub=sedan

or any other reputable auto site. I'm not trolling for a fight, but to let other potential buyers know the truth about the car before they buy it. And to help the poor souls out who still have one. Also I'm not calling your car "crap" as I don't know your car. What I am saying is the Catera is a crappy car when judged against any comparable car! Also you shouldn't be so thin skinned after all it is just a car...a really crappy car!

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Yes this is hemic05 and i still own my CRAPTERA i love to hate and hate to love that car ive put more money and time in that car than all cars ive owned combined iam not calling your car any names then i would be a bully that ian not the cars are money pits plain and simple

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Hemic05 and Kaustein need to move on to 12 year old Mercedes or BMW to find out what a money pit can really be like!

Quote Originally Posted by orconn View Post
    Hemic05 and Kaustein need to move on to 12 year old Mercedes or BMW to find out what a money pit can really be like!
    When I bought the Craptera, it was 4 years old. More repair expenses than I can remember. Bought a 7 year old Toyota, which is now 12 years old and had to replace 2 O2 sensors, one for each side, which I did myself. Why can Toyota make a consistently low repair cost vehicle, but the Carptera, for 5 years was awful? But yet when board members state the obvious and well documented repair record, people get upset.

orconn is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Cadillac 95 STS, 02 SLS

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    When I bought the Craptera, it was 4 years old. More repair expenses than I can remember. Bought a 7 year old Toyota, which is now 12 years old and had to replace 2 O2 sensors, one for each side, which I did myself. Why can Toyota make a consistently low repair cost vehicle, but the Carptera, for 5 years was awful? But yet when board members state the obvious and well documented repair record, people get upset.
    Nobody's getting upset, we are just wondering why you haven't been able to put your Catera experience behind you and move on to all encompassing Toyota bliss!

As stated earlier, to warn others and to give any useful info that I have may have to others.

As for Toyota bliss, for me the car has been pretty much trouble free, but there are others that do post question about issues that they have with their cars.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    There's a fine line between bashing/trolling, and constructive criticism.
    orconn and orconn like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MoistCabbage View Post
    There's a fine line between bashing/trolling, and constructive criticism.
    How about telling truth. That should count for something!

elvin315 is online now Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

My apologies to Gravatrax for hijacking this thread. Can we please get back to his original topic and drop the pissing match?

Did you make a decision? My long boring answer to your question made no secret that I think the Catera is a great car but I hope I presented her honestly, warts and all. Some of us would really like to know which way you decided to go. Either way, have a Happy New Year and good luck with whatever car you eventually buy.

majik895 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Cool Re: Potential Catera Owner

I have owned 1998 Catera for about 3 years now and the only thing that went wrong so far (hope i'm not jinxing myself) is the front left tire rod needed replaced. The car still runs as strong as the day I bought it. I will tell you though I have only put 20,000 on it in those three years.

atikovi is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 Professional Chassis Raised Roof Presidential Limousine

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    I did not read all posts but here is an honest evaluation..

Catera FUN to drive! great sound system, very unique to look at!

Catera not so great... Hard to find a good mechanic to work on it for a reasonable price!
    Except for maybe a Corolla or Civic, nobody should buy a $2K- $3K car unless they can do 90% of the work on it themselves, especially a Catera from what I'm just learning. With that said, I just bought a 1998 today at an auction. Wasn't planning to but the body looks beautiful in silver and only has 90K miles. Couldn't pass it up. If I had read this forum first, I might have. Not saying how much I paid since I'll flip it, but not a whole lot above scrap value. I'll bring it home in a few weeks and check it out better.

Catera FUN to drive! great sound system
    Fun to drive? Plods along as heavy, underpowered car.
    Great sound system? Yes! Even though it had no aux port. the sound sys. was great and the only thing that never gave me any problems.

globuslive is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera 2000 & Catera 2001

Elvin315 I wouldn't agree with you about german engineering! They invent almost everything, and then others just copy it.Prius technology was used in Tiger Tanks in 1935 by Porsche... I rebuild engines, and can proove, that engine of Saturn ion 2003 2.2L which is "ecotec", is crazy thing, compared to Scion 2.4L 2006. I saw them both ruined, because of human factor. In saturn oil was from the factory I guess on 94 k miles, never changed before, but still this engine and all parts had plenty of resources to run like 300K miles, with proper maintenance. Scion was nearly dead at 123K miles, except cylinders. Germans invented Airbags, ABS, started crash tests, and much more. So they obviously have mistakes, but they create the future in autos, like nobody else.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.