Potential Catera Owner - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Potential Catera Owner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Excellent post by elvin315....
    catera6 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: Potential Catera Owner (Part 3)

Excellent post by elvin315.

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Potential Catera Owner

Quote Originally Posted by Gravatrax View Post
    For a German built car you'd think they'd be better built, but if I recall correctly many cars in their early years are probably worth avoiding until they can get all the kinks out of them (big or small). So the CTS is essentially the new Catera?

How much is the part(s) to fix the Valve Cover problem? Do vehicles that start out with problem typically lead into the other infamous ones? Or is it largely hit or miss. Might roll the dice, might not, will make final decision saturday one way or the other.
    German engineering is no better or worse than any other country's. As I hear it Mercedes Benz has had a lot of quality problems the last 10 years or so. With today's cars packing so much electronics, operational & entertainment, it's a wonder they run at all. A car is a very harsh environment with all the bumps & shocks, extreme interior temps, rain & snow, it's no surprise they fail as often as they do.

If you're a handyman then it's just the cost of the gaskets. You pull the intake plenum (not so hard to do), remove the covers, remove the crankcase breather box (easy to get to with the plenum and camcovers off), clean the breather box, clean the covers, clean the sealing surfaces, and replace everything. (the step by step is around here somewhere)

Hit & Miss but some are interrelated. Take the front suspension bushings. If not replaced when scheduled it will lead to ruined tires. If the leaking oil cooler is left unattended it will lead to a clogged radiator and heater core, and eventually burnt internal engine bearings. Then the big one. Timing belt tension assemblies & water pumps left on for more than 60,000 miles risk the chance of catastrophic engine failure. The L81 V6 is an interference engine and its pistons will crash into the 24 valves. With the exception of the oil cooler the rest are regular maintenance items and not unique to the Catera. Most new cars with OHC engines use toothed rubber timing belts and rubber suspension bushings.

Don't think that not buying a Catera will save you from worrying about those items. Have the car checked out by a trusted mechanic or do it yourself and use what you find as a negotiating tool. Ask for maintenance records. If you like the car and all is acceptable, plus the price is right, then buy it.

hemic05 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2007 Cadillac STS 1SG 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

More likely than not its not just the valve cover gaskets its the valve covers thenselves not a great cost just another craptera thing they come from generating money G.M. ha ha with the gasketsm they run aboutm 65.00 per side and are easy to do

I had my camcover gaskets replaced about 4 years ago and not a drop of oil or cloud of smoke since then. Again, it's a maintenance issue. If the Crankcase Breather is let unserviced it will clog with sludge leaving the pressurized crankcase gases to seek another exit to the atmosphere. That is the plastic camcovers. The pressure lifts the edges of the covers allowing oil to drip from the cylinder heads onto the exhaust manifold heatshields below. You can replace the plastic covers with alloy ones from Saturn, Saab, or Vauxhall that will not lift but then the pressurized gases would have to find another, more expensive to repair, exit like the main crankshaft seals. The key is to clean the Breather Box every year or so and the camcover gaskets become a non-issue. Maintenance people, maintenance.

Gravatrax is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): NONE

Hmm interesting...he mentioned something about this one had a pontiac engine a 3.2 or something like that not the standard 3.0

If it has a 3.2 the engine was replaced with a later model caddy cts engine same craptera as far as the valve covers go they warp in time its normal for this car

Can the timing belt tension be addressed by replacing it? If all of this is preventative maintenance what the big deal?

No offense but I don't believe the covers warp. My car has had the same covers for 10 years and except for the one time they've not leaked. Not since the breathers were cleaned regularly.

The 3.2 V6 was used in the 2002 Omega and the 2004 CTS. It was proposed for the 2002 Catera and replaced by the 3.6 V6 in the CTS in 2006. The 3.2 V6 is practically a one for one swap except for a few parts like the oil pan.

It's the timing belt that's the maintenance item but I replace the tensioner as well since it was a recalled part. GM upgraded them in 1999 but I don't trust their engineering enough to leave it on past 60,000 miles. Compared to the damage it could cause the replacement cost is negligible. GM even sells a kit. Belt, pulleys, and waterpump.

The valve covers due warp it was an item with cadillac so 100% they due warp

I expressed my concerns to my boss and he is letting me take home the car for a weak. He said if something happens to it (be it collision, or mechanical) he said he'd just take it as a loss. So thatll give me enough time to for me and my step dad to look it over, and possibly go to the Cadillac dealership to see if I can pull up some maintenance records and what not

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

You seem intent on buying this car. Use common sense! Think with your brain and not how cool you will look driving a Caddy. Think how you will look sitting in the front seat of the tow truck as the car is being towed!

jjhammer is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I had a 2000 Catera for a couple of years. Yes it was nice to drive but it did require a lot of maintenance. I did most of the work myself and I still spent quite a bit of money. I finally ended up selling it but it is funny-I miss it. It was quite a looker. Triple black with about 85000 miles on her. It was due for the timing chain to be replaced-1000 dollars and I had other bills to pay so there she went. I may still get another one though.

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Tripple black? As in it had a carriage roof? Never seen a Catera with a cloth top.

Never?? Well now you have....

http://www.pbase.com/elvin315/image/73182461

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Ugly at a new level!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.