2000 Cadillac Catera Flashing S. and check engine light on.....
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, 2000 Cadillac Catera Flashing S. and check engine light on..... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I am new to this forum an the car catera, i bought it knowing full well that these things are ...
    trentCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Catera

2000 Cadillac Catera Flashing S. and check engine light on.....

I am new to this forum an the car catera, i bought it knowing full well that these things are junk but i need to make it work for a year...... The mechanic i bought it from replaced the throttle body with a junkyard (had the same problem as it does now) yes, maybe the junkyard throttle body is coincidentally bad as well, but I need to know if anyone else has had this problem an found a different fix. The junkyard throttle body has fixed the issue for a month now, but now its back. The S light is flashing, an the check engine light is on. 2 codes that came up were P1220 throttle position sensor 2 circuit fault. P1890 throttle position signal input. Like I said im really open to suggestion I do need to get this catera running right since its all ive got for the next year..... Thanks peaple!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: 2000 Cadillac Catera Flashing S. and check engine light on.....

First thought was... did you have the throttle body reprogramed .. but if it worked for a month then you did... second thought... check the connection under the TPS on the side of the TB. make sure of good connection and NO MOISTURE mine was damaged and would get moist and not work... had to replace the pigtail. Are the air intake hoses connected tightly with no tears?

trentCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Catera

It appears the air hoses are not cracked, an the pigtail was done about 1 year ago an was the updated harness as well......

was the throttle body ever programed at the GM dealer? and has your computer been flashed with most recent updates?
    I really think that the problem is within the TPS area of the throttle body.

cateramv6 just posted the relearn.. turn ket to on position for 5 minutes without the car on. this should relearn TPS / TB

If not I would say u may have a faulty TB.

SoapMart is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadillac Catera

Same problem with 2001 cadillac catera

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Soap, you do not have the same problem. Your car is throwing a trans code, not a TPS code. Refer to post #21 in this thread.

http://www.cadillacforums.com/forums...-lights-2.html

salata58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera 2001

My 2001 catera shuts off randomly even on high way speed and when that happense the "s" light starts blinking. now sometimes the car will start after a couple of tries and sometimes i would have to wait over 30 min for it to start again and the "s" light still blinking causing the car to accelorate very slow because its on 3rd gear (now when the "s" is gone the car drives fine again). i replaced the crankshaft position sensor but a couple of days later the problem is back, so i flushed the transmission fluid and changed the filter but on the same day the problem is back and more frequent, i dont know what else to do please please if any one had the same problem before and got fixed please help! thank you

MoistCabbage is online now Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)

Have your codes pulled.

salata58 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): catera 2001

hello,
    i just got my car back from the mechanic and if anyone is having the same problem i had here is what you need to do,
    the s light flashing and causing the car to stall is caused by the camshaft, try disconnecting the camshaft sensor and see if the problem goes away. mine did as soon as i disconnected the sensor the s light is gone, so replacing the camshaft will solve the issue.
    camshaft sensor is located on the right side of the engin its easy to disconnect as its visable you cant miss it.

goodluck

----------

by the way i spend over $1000, fixing things that wasnt related to the issue and going to mechanics that just want to take your money, so make sure if you are experincing the same symptoms try this first, trust me it will save you alot of money.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.