Transmission help
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I know the transmisson in my catera is a sealed unit. But i was wondering is there a way to ...
    98CadiCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Transmission help

I know the transmisson in my catera is a sealed unit. But i was wondering is there a way to add trans fluid to the car. The problem im having is the car shifted fine yesterday
    but today it wouldnt shift past first. oes anyone have any thoughts on this. i really hope its just low on fluid.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: Transmission help

my 00 catera has a side fill, car has to be up in the air and there is a port on the side.. u fill it untill fluid spills out. its on the passenger side. Im not sure if a 98 is the same, but may be. car has to be leval befor replaceing the fill cap to be sure your at the right level .

98CadiCatera is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

Thanks for the information

waco-brian is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera 98 & 99

the 98 has a fill on the side also, it is how you fill and check the fluid but the car must be warm and running when you do this

cra889 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera
    99 catera sport / trans fliud what type, what Grade... Just want to be prepared!!!???😎

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

I believe its Dexron III or maybe even VI, just check the bottle at your local parts store.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Dexron 3 its original fluid, dexron 6 its new synthetic that should help with shift and extend life. I replaced my oil with DEX 6, twice!!!, ot took 5 quarter each time. Also I used Castrol brand - not cheep!
    New filter was put in too after second change.
    Just to add oil:
    Make sure u do it on hot transmission, its mean u have to drive car for at lease 15 miles none stop not just let it seat running until it heats up!, when u rased your vehicle its need to be leveled, i used 6 jack stand all around. When u adding oil, engine need to be running, just unscrew plug/bolt on bigger pan that located on passenger side and add keep adding oil untill it starts to come out, then quickly screw and tight bolt/plug back. Now u can turn vehicle off.
    To add oil u have to use hand pump, I bought mine at Harbor Freight fo $10

pinto is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 cadillac catera

i have a 97 Cadillac Catera and when taking off from a stop if i dont push the gas easy it will slip.plus when it is cold it will stay in first gear for about 50-100 feet of taking off from a stop just bought it and know nothing about this car i even checked auto zone for a Haynes manual but they said they dont make one.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    We're up to DEXRON VI guys, not IV.

Pinto, Haynes manuals are nearly worthless. If you really want a manual, get a " realL Helm FSM. Start by checking the transmission fluid level.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Quote Originally Posted by pinto View Post
    i have a 97 Cadillac Catera and when taking off from a stop if i dont push the gas easy it will slip.plus when it is cold it will stay in first gear for about 50-100 feet of taking off from a stop just bought it and know nothing about this car i even checked auto zone for a Haynes manual but they said they dont make one.
    When cold, shifts were slower and at higher rpms. I'd drive it cautiously until the car gets to operating temp. Also read the posts here as the car has many, many issues.

thank you for the help but i have one more question i dont know if this is the right place to ask but Sunday we was driving from PA to IL and about half way back i notice that it was shaking really bad like a bad tire well i got out to check and it is wearing the rear tires really bad on the inside and about 10 miles down the road the driver side rear tire blew out it looks like both rear tires lean in a lot at the top.

MoistCabbage is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): Crimson 2001 Seville STS, 1990 Seville (RIP)
    Pinto, if the wheels are tilted inwards at the top, you either have very worn suspension components, or your ELC system is inop and your rear springs are sagging or broken.

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post

When cold, shifts were slower and at higher rpms. I'd drive it cautiously until the car gets to operating temp. Also read the posts here as the car has many, many issues.
    Never solved my cold shift issue, transmission flush and oil changed to DEX 6 didnt helped. Its still wouldn't switch to second gear in first 100 feet

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast

Front suspension is a problem area. And the rear springs break close to the tray they sit in.

what about the 97 where do i check and fill the tranny

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.