Transmission help - Page 2
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Transmission help in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Cra889SportCatera Transmission???help I hate not knowing, transmission on the Catera is an Enclosed port on the tranny itself... Just finding ...
    cra889 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera
    Cra889SportCatera

Transmission???help

I hate not knowing, transmission on the Catera is an Enclosed port on the tranny itself... Just finding that the it's best to fill tranny while hot, using a hand pump... Fill till there's a slight overflow... Definitely use dextrin 6, Castro

----------

Quote Originally Posted by pinto
    what about the 97 where do i check and fill the tranny
    cra889SportCatera99

Dang Catera, on the tranny it's self... Definitely get linkage check or adjusted... Owner manual is For real... Meaning small adjustment, reprogramming stuff will save you a lot of Pain... I had my engine flushed... Tranny rebuilt and she leaks, another issue... Hope it helps... Got it all from the Moist Cabbage, Submariner Dude!!! Welcome to the Village

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Transmission help

In their infinite wisdom GM decided that owners shouldn't check the transmission fluid themselves and deleted the dip stick/filler tube. The way to check it now is to crawl underneath and undo the pan's plug. Reach in with your finger and feel if the fluid level is even with the bottom of the plug opening. The car must be warm, not hot, and on a level surface. Smart move, huh?

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post
    In their infinite wisdom GM decided that owners shouldn't check the transmission fluid themselves and deleted the dip stick/filler tube. The way to check it now is to crawl underneath and undo the pan's plug. Reach in with your finger and feel if the fluid level is even with the bottom of the plug opening. The car must be warm, not hot, and on a level surface. Smart move, huh?
    Dude. Car have to be running at this time, other wise as soon as u open that plug oil start to leak like crazy. Transmission need to be hot too while u checking, my services manual saying that! And u have to take it on the road for minimum 15 miles before start to checking! So tranny could reach it normal temp!!!!!

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Use Dexron 4 and not 6

Thanks.

Buster28 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 ETC 18K miles, 1991 Allante 11K miles, 1996 ETC (sold)

There never was a Dexron IV (4) or V (5) ATF. The product went from III H to VI (6), Dexron VI is a synthetic, Dexron III H has been discontinued but Castrol and others make an acceptable substitute. I use Castrol Transmax Import Multi-vehicle which is a Dexron III substitute and it performs satisfactorily.

cra889 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera
    Cra889CateraSport99

I've found out from Wisdom Guru y'all... That Dextran 6... Friggin level hot Trans Check... Passenger side, finger In the whole... Hand pump application... Up on the lift... HHHMMM... What if you got a leak small???

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.