Brake Pad Wear Sensor Light won't go out.
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Brake Pad Wear Sensor Light won't go out. in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The Brake Pad Wear Sensor light on the dashboard of my 2000 Catera won't go out. The Front brakes were ...
    tedroz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

Brake Pad Wear Sensor Light won't go out.

The Brake Pad Wear Sensor light on the dashboard of my 2000 Catera won't go out. The Front brakes were replaced about 6,000 miles ago, and the rear brakes and rotors were replace about 12 miles ago. I understand that the light first came on sometime after the front brakes were replaced (the car was given to me, and I don't have all the history).

Is there a reset switch, or something like that, or is there some other step that may not have been taken when the brakes were replaced.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: Brake Pad Wear Sensor Light won't go out.

tear the sensor end off and screw it to the base (other end) and you will never have the light on again. that is how mine is.

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

The brake sensor is a wire loop which fits into certain brake pads for the Catera. The light goes on when the brakes wear down to a certain level and also wear out the wire, creating an open wire. When the brakes are replaced, the sensors can be replaced, restoring the loop.

You can turn the light off by carefully stripping the brake sensor cables on each of the front brakes and twisting together the two conductors inside to once again form an electrical loop. There are two conductors inside the brake sensor cable. Use twist ties to keep the cable out of the way. My brakes have been that way for years.

GFox is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

My brake light has been on for years too, but I know that it is because I have a loose sensor wire on one of the front pads. Somehow it never occurred to me the just strip the wire and do as Investor74 suggests. Will try that next time I have the wheels off.

matrixebiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera and 2008 CTS4

Quote Originally Posted by hgqguy View Post
    tear the sensor end off and screw it to the base (other end) and you will never have the light on again. that is how mine is.
    Please clarify what you mean by "Tear the sensor end off and screw it to the base". Are you saying that there is another spot to screw in the sensor?

Are these sensors only on the Front brakes? I didn't notice any sensors/wires on the rear calipers when I had them off last.

Thanks

investor74 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): '97 Forest Green Catera

Quote Originally Posted by matrixebiz View Post
    Please clarify what you mean by "Tear the sensor end off and screw it to the base". Are you saying that there is another spot to screw in the sensor?

Are these sensors only on the Front brakes? I didn't notice any sensors/wires on the rear calipers when I had them off last.

Thanks
    The trap you are falling into is replying to a post that is almost two years old. Don't know if hgguy is still around or even still has a Catera.

If you want the light to go out, you must complete the circuit. If you can complete the circuit by screwing one of the wires to ground, then do that, but it might be easier to do what I recommended above. Cut wires to the sensor, and strip the wires leading to the sensor and twist them together and tape.

The sensors are only in the front.

matrixebiz is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera and 2008 CTS4

Ok, awesome, thank you for the info

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.