'99 Catera: Driver's Door Makes Three Loud Popping Noises When Opening and Closing
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, '99 Catera: Driver's Door Makes Three Loud Popping Noises When Opening and Closing in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The title says it all. I think it needs some good ol' grease, because the passenger door looks like it's ...
    Murano20155 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Catera and a CTS-V wagon (I wish)

'99 Catera: Driver's Door Makes Three Loud Popping Noises When Opening and Closing

The title says it all. I think it needs some good ol' grease, because the passenger door looks like it's a little more lubricated, but I'd like some other opinions, if there are any. Thanks!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

MDG
    MDG is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): Catera

Re: '99 Catera: Driver's Door Makes Three Loud Popping Noises When Opening and Closin

Quote Originally Posted by Murano20155 View Post
    The title says it all. I think it needs some good ol' grease, because the passenger door looks like it's a little more lubricated, but I'd like some other opinions, if there are any. Thanks!
    Nope, grease won't do it. Tried it. Also tried to replace the bolt that holds the door stay to the body, as it was moving around....no joy. Took it to the dealer and asked them to fix it, but was told the part(s) needed are NLA (and we know that must be true, as service is a profit center for the store).

So....removed the bolt and pushed the arm into the door. Have to now hold it open myself and not let it go when facing downhill, but it beats the awful cracking sound when that mechanism fails.

Best,

Marvin

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: '99 Catera: Driver's Door Makes Three Loud Popping Noises When Opening and Closin

the door stay is failing... eventually it will not want to shut.. u will pull it hard and actually tear the stay out of the door... opps!... thats what happens.

the metal where the stay is attached to the door is weak.. and the stays bind... the metal has begun to flex, so the stay is not alligning properly... its not worth fixing... it will break and u will have to hold the door open. but the up side is the door will close automatically!

Murano20155 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): '99 Catera and a CTS-V wagon (I wish)

Well, now I have a can of grease I can use on something else! No biggie. The door stay broke about a day after I posted this thread. It kinda stinks the door won't stay open, but at least it won't make that horrific noise anymore. Considering the car is worth about as much as my socks and I don't plan on keeping it much longer, I'll live with the inconvenience. Thanks, gentlemen.

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

It is called a "door check." The part is spot welded to the door and the door has to be disasembled to be repaired properly. Not cheap. <$500.

marko69 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2001 Catera Sport, 1990 Porsche 944 S2 cab

Hello, new to the forum, mine does the same thing and it is extremely annoying. I have to fix it.

Is it possible to replace it with the one from the back door?

Ok, it's fixed now. Man that is so much better.
    Got the little bushings here:
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-90462823.html

Ordered two, $19.29 shipped. They said they were out of stock and asked if I want my money back or wait til they were in stock. I waited and it was only about 1 and a half weeks before they came in.

RPerry435 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport

New to the site here. Ive got a 2000 Catera Sport. and my door is doing this. its about to rip off the car so im going to sink a few self tappers to solve that but those bushing i just need the 2 for the drivers door correct? how are they installed just a push on style? im assuming the door check has to be removed to install those?

polikrit is offline Cadillac Owners Member

"2 for the drivers door correct?"
    -Only 1 for drivers door!
    "how are they installed just a push on style? im assuming the door check has to be removed to install those?"
    -only remove one bolt
    5 -10 min. work

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Well then if the door check weld break...<$500 to repair

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Quote Originally Posted by marko69 View Post
    Ok, it's fixed now. Man that is so much better.
    Got the little bushings here:
    http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/parts/gm...-90462823.html

Ordered two, $19.29 shipped. They said they were out of stock and asked if I want my money back or wait til they were in stock. I waited and it was only about 1 and a half weeks before they came in.
    We know it's a weld on thin metal that makes the pop so how can these bushings eliminate them? Give us some details on your fix please.

I only replaced the bushings and that fixed my cracking noise.
    Here's the link on the Vauxhall site.

http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....th-pics.83255/

jarnett56 is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was looking at the link mentioned in the discussion thread which is:
    http://www.vauxhallownersnetwork.co....th-pics.83255/
    but the last picture of the bushings and how they fit on the end of the check straps did not download properly. Does anyone have this photo so I can reference it during my fix? Thank you very much!

JohnJJO is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera Sport
    Watch my video on my YouTube channel that shows how to fix door noise
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6luo...e_gdata_player

That's a great video John!
    Mine was much much louder! CRACK!! CRACK!! The bushing was totally wore out allowing the bolt to contact the metal bracket when the door check reached it's holding positions. I think that bushing is a bad design. There should be more surface area around the bolt then what it has. Just my 2 cents.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.