Radio Swap, Removal - Comments?
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Radio Swap, Removal - Comments? in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; So my 00' Cat has the Upgraded Bose System and it works for the most part fine, but its not ...
    c0op3r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Radio Swap, Removal - Comments?

So my 00' Cat has the Upgraded Bose System and it works for the most part fine, but its not really what I need, I recently removed the 'On Star' as its dead (so why tote it around). I dont have the CD Changer and cant see myself ever getting it.

So here is what I am thinking about, I do have an iPhone (and so does my girlfriend), and I listen to a lot of PodCast (I also like Audio Books and Music of Course like everyone else).

I am a bit of an Alpine fan from the 'old days'.

I am leaning towards the Stereo Replacement Kit ( I think its Metra) the one with the Pocket below the Head Unit*

I noticed that there is a interface unit to retain the Steering Wheel Controls, for the Alpine Units, and most seem to have some sort of iPhone/iPod interface. I would like to not have to change the speaker (as they sound ok to me and my ears are shot anyway) which means I have to keep the factory amp, so I will need another interface.

So here is my replacement list:
    • Installation KIT with Pocket
    • Alpine Stereo that will accept iPhone and Steering Wheel Control interface. (and will hopefully play MP3 Direct from CD-R's Also)
    • Head Unit to Bose Amp/Speaker interface

*now I mention the old days, I was a custom installer 'many moons ago' so the actual installation does not really bother me, and I plan to use the pocket below the head unit to make a 'docking station' for the iPhone and most likely a second charging station on the right hand side of the pocket.

What I need help with is:
    • A place to get and/or model suggestion for a Standardized Head Unit to the Bose Amp/Speaker Combo.
    • Any Better Installation Kit, or comments about the Metra One
    • If you have ever changed out the Head Unit I would like to know about your experience, what worked and what did not.

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Radio Swap, Removal - Comments?

I wouldn't do it. Radio is the only thing that never gave me a problem.

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    I wouldn't do it. Radio is the only thing that never gave me a problem.
    Now that brought a chuckle !

The truth! The radio and the trunk mount 12 cd changer was perfect all the time. Don't do it. Get an ipod fm transmitter. I used one of those and never had a problem using the ipod with the radio.

ThatCoolDude is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): Catera Sport

In my opinion I would spend a little more money and get a double din unit with gps. That way you have something that is much better than the stock unit. As for now I just use a tape to mp3 line, it sounds perfect, and theres no static noise or anything. I also wired up a separate amp for extra subs, for a little more bass. My stereo doesn't rattle the neighborhood but I think that's a good thing lol.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I personally like the factory radio... it is by far the best sounding system I have ever had.... plus you get the wheel controlls... But each person has different needs..... I just figure.. why mess with it if it works.. and works nicely... my 08 solara has a constant rattle and I hate listening to it... much like the crapy bose they put in the maximas!... worthless.

good luck!

OK, I have been looking around a bit, and wanted to know if anyone has ever used one of the iSimple interfaces to connect their iPod/iPhone to the factory CD Changer Port

iSimple Interface Link

Also, do our radios have Codes? If i disconnect power will the Radio Lock Out? I am thinking if this system will work to going as far as taking the Radio out of the car and making a iPhone Dock where the Cassette Tape goes, I don't even own Tapes and it would be a great way to make a stealth install.

I ordered the iSimple interface, and it should be here tomorrow, I will let you know if it works, and if it does, I will post a 'How-To' article.

If it works ok I will actually post two 'How-To' one the simple install that most people would do, and the other one being a custom install turning the ash-tray into a docking port for the iPhone, which is the way i will ultimately have mine setup, assuming it works.

To be continued . . .

So like mentioned above, I was looking for a solution to add an iPod/iPhone to my Catera, I was originally thinking of a complete swap out of the head unit and mounting system, but decided against that really for two reasons. Cost and the Kit that replaces the Factory unit does not have exactly the same coloring as the surrounding bezel parts.

So with that deiced I looked for other options; I found the iSimple iPod/iPhone interface from AAMP in Clearwater Florida, this system consist of an interface and the needed cable to connect your iPod/iPhone to the CD Changer port on the radio. You get to retain the standard Radio Controls and the steering wheel radio controls and as an add bonus, the system also charges the iDevice at the same time.

So here are some photos of the system while I was installing it, which the basic install/connection took all of 10 to 15 minutes:

This photo shows that basic parts laid out in the trunk BEFORE being connected.

You have to set some Dip Switches on the interface depending on the application, in the case of the Catera its switch 2 and 8 on and everything else off. This device will work for about any GM with a CD Changer, XM radio interface.

In this photo the Device is connect with the iPod/iPhone cable and the interfacing cable that is used for the Catera, the kits contains 3 different cables for the different GM cars, we luckily use the simplest of the cables, as the other 2 require that give the device +12 and Ground connections.

Just a shot of the Dip Switch set, notice the hole in the iSimple Interface Device corner, this can be used to Tie Strap it in place in the truck.

This shot shows the iSimple Device with the correct adapter attached to connect to the CD Changer Connector in the trunk, no additional power connections needed.

iSimple connected, with appropriate cable to CD-Changer Interface and the iPod/iPhone cable plugged into the other side, now the unit just has to be strapped off and secured in place. Thats pretty much it, you would now just run the iPhone/iPhone end of the cable up to the front were you would like to plug in your device, I would guess that most would want that pocket area below the hand brake, there is plenty of cable as the Ipod cable included with the iSimple Kit is 10 feet long. i personally went a step further and converted my ash tray to a docking stations.

One down side to the system is each time you plug the phone in you get this stupid message:

Here is a shot of the Docking Station that I built, without the phone in place, you can see that I don't smoke as the former ash-tray is now completely useless for anything else:

I used a two-part epoxy to create the base inside the ash-tray and make the connector a permanent mount point.

And finally with the iPhone Docked, (Yes, I like Katy Perry so Sue Me!), as when using the phone for a GPS with one of the GPS apps, the voice is played over the car speakers so it is very clear. My next upgrade will be to permanently convert the cigarette lighter in the pop-out ash-tray to a USB Power-Port. And yes by the way the Ash-Tray does open and close like normal to hide away when not in use.

AL Cool Dates is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Cadillac Catera Sport

Great job! My factory radio was replaced before I got the car with a JVC system, it rocks through the Bose system and amp so even a non factory radio would have been great but I love the way you got all this to work stock and look so clean.

Very nice. In my other car I took out the stock radio and shipped it to a guy in Cali who put and aux port in the radio. I port my iphone via tom-tom car kit to the radio. Music, gps, phone calls all go through the car speakers. Works perfectly especially when the top is down on my 10 year old toyota

Sabresch is offline Cadillac Owners Member

I was one of the unlucky ones that had radio trouble from a bad multiswitch. So after replacing it, I was really not liking my stock radio. Here are the part numbers to the housing I used and the adapter/harness to plug in a after market radio into the Bose stock speakers. > gmos-06, metra 99-2004 I currently have a Clarion radio in my 2000 Cat with Ipod, USB, and Sat radio. Good luck and one thing I will pass along, beware the depth of the radio, the catera already has the radio area encased in metal in the back so go as shallow as you can to make room for the harness. Its about the size of a pack of smokes.

I found my PDF files from when I did the install. Added as attachments.
    Attached Files

real22uu is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Cadillac Catera

I was wondering is it possible to replace the Cassette player Head unit with the CD Player Head Unit. I have a 98 Catera with the Cassette Player and want to upgrade the unit. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I want to preserve the uniformity.

ducky69247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera, Kicker 300w Amp & 2x12" Kicker subs in trunk

Quote Originally Posted by c0op3r View Post
    So with that deiced I looked for other options; I found the iSimple iPod/iPhone interface from AAMP in Clearwater Florida, this system consist of an interface and the needed cable to connect your iPod/iPhone to the CD Changer port on the radio. You get to retain the standard Radio Controls and the steering wheel radio controls and as an add bonus, the system also charges the iDevice at the same time.
    Couple questions:
    1. Which iSimple is that? I don't have an iPod/iPhone, so I need something with aux input I guess, and i'm not even sure which one you've got as their pics look different from your pics, so I don't know which to buy.
    2. Were the links on that instruction packet actually clickable?
    3. Was there an option to install it behind the stereo rather than in the trunk? I would wonder if cd-changer plug in the trunk = cd changer plug at the unit?

ducky69247 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera, Kicker 300w Amp & 2x12" Kicker subs in trunk

ignored :-S
    Bummer..

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.