Wiper Blades
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Wiper Blades in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Im going to be getting my wipers refills replaced...but I dont remember where I read catera wiper blades are about ...
    cattydrvr is offline Cadillac Owners Member

Wiper Blades

Im going to be getting my wipers refills replaced...but I dont remember where I read catera wiper blades are about $70...is this right?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Vesicant is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): None :(

Re: Wiper Blades

Nu-uh... just go to an advance auto parts or something like that- even a walmart .. not that expensive at all. About 20-30 dollars. (im talking about the complete wiper - no refil though)

Just plain ol wiper's. Two sizes though.

mastertech is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Wiper blades are one thing to NOT purchase at the dealer.LOL ....way too expensive!

CateraSport2000 is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): XX

How do I change my wiper blades? Can I replace just the blade part or should I get a new arm completely? What about that piece of plastic on the bottom of the driver side wiper... it seems to act as a weight. Is there a way to transfer it to the new wiper? Any suggestions as to which brand is best?

Thanks!
    Jeff

Quote Originally Posted by CateraSport2000
    How do I change my wiper blades? Can I replace just the blade part or should I get a new arm completely? What about that piece of plastic on the bottom of the driver side wiper... it seems to act as a weight. Is there a way to transfer it to the new wiper? Any suggestions as to which brand is best?
    Thanks!
    Jeff
    The blades come as a whole out of the box, and you do not replace the arm itself; just the blade attached to the wiper arm. The wind deflector part (piece of plastic) on the driver side can be taken off and reattached to the new blade if you want.

I chose Bosch, even though they are a little more expensive it is OEM. Anco, and Rain-x are OK.

To replace the wiper blades:
    For the hook-slot connector (which is what the Catera has):
    You generally need to raise the arm off the windshield to a working height. Then, swing the blade perpendicular to the arm so that you have more light on the connector. You'll find a tab at the connector that either needs to be lifted or pushed to release the lock that holds the blade pivot in the hook slot. Once the tab is released, a firm push toward the base of the arm will slide the blade right out of the hook slot. Then, simply line up the new blade's mount with the hook slot and slide it in until it clicks.

Oh, and you can go to your neighborhood parts store to buy new wiperblades or even Walmart etc.

There should be a computer to look up the sizes for the blades too - but from memory I believe its a 19" and a 24" sized blades (you'll want to double check this)

Cat-a-Tonic is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1998 Catera

I've switched to the Teflon wiper blade assembly. And the teflon washer fluid. After a while of using them, the difference from standard wiper blades is amazing. The teflon fills the tiny pock marks in the glass so the water won't stick. First notice the difference when I replaced the driver's wiper on my wife's Windstar. The rain beads off the windshield on the driver's side while the passanger side is the usuall smudgy view. Cost about 20 bucks a wiper.

Great information! Sure beats the $70 the dealer quoted...not that I'm dumb enough to get them there anyway. I remember changing the wiper blades on my first car, a 1988 Dodge Omni (feel free to laugh). I put it on wrong and I guess it didn't "snap" and the wiper went flailing all over the place when I put it on. Here in FL we get torrential downpours every day during the summer so it was quite scary.

Jeff

You'll like the teflon coating once it gets into the glass. You can also buy a spray-on treatment that'll give you instant results. ( or you can always rub a slice of 'Spanish onion' on the glass. NO kidding)

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

In my case, i went for the PIAA silicone wipers. I had enough of the Bosch chattering and steaking even as they are very much new. The PIAA is just way better than the Bosch, of course for more money.

Thanks guys... I am going to order the PIAA silicone wipers off tirerack.com. It's $19 for the pass. side and $26 for the driver side (with "spoiler"). The non-spoiler one is $1 less. Which ones did you get??? For $55 this beats what the dealer would replace the wipers with for $70.

Jeff

Winters here are hard on wipers. Especially when you have to chip the wipers out of the ice (when you forget to lift the arms clear of the windshield) So I shop at Canadian Tire. Besides, the store gives ya coupons to get , say 5 times the regular discount in C.T. "money coupons" when you buy their gas, to buy stuff from their store . Then the gas bar gives you coupons to buy stuff at the store like tools, auto accesories, home ware etc., for rediculously discounted prices. Makes for great free Christmas/Birthday gifts!. Ahhh,,, It's a Canadian tradition.

Anyway what I was going to say is I just buy the mid-line priced wipers.

AllenPacla is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

That's why i keep two sets of wipers. I use the crappy Bosch wipers for winter use and the PIAA for the rest of the year.

We don't have snow or ice here in Florida so I can keep the good ones all year round!

inconnu is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic

Quote Originally Posted by Cat-a-Tonic
    You'll like the teflon coating once it gets into the glass. You can also buy a spray-on treatment that'll give you instant results. ( or you can always rub a slice of 'Spanish onion' on the glass. NO kidding)
    Some vinegar in the fluid also helps that is if you dont mind the smell which is outside most of the times anyways

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.