Hello everyone
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Hello everyone in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; I just wanted to post a quick hello and introduce myself. My Name is Cooper I just bought a 2000 ...
    c0op3r is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2005 Cadillac STS

Hello everyone

I just wanted to post a quick hello and introduce myself.

My Name is Cooper

I just bought a 2000 Cadillac Catera, but I am not new to Cateras or Cadillacs in general.

I bought a 2001 Catera Sport Brand New, with every option except the engine heater, in 2000. That car did eventually give me some water loss problems and the former wife ended up with it anyway (I did buy it for her).

I have also own a 1997 STS, with the north*, I had upgraded its brakes and wheel package to an 18" MHT Chromed 10 spoke.

The current car I got for $3900, and was in excellent shape save for some minor fixes, nothing motor related so far. I got it with 58k miles on the clock.

Current plans:

-The 2004 GTO Caliper Upgrade - as I find the brakes a little spongy.

-The Saturn Astra 18" Wheels - Yes CateraMV6, I am going to completely copy you on that, as I think yours looks great.

-Remove the On-Star Garbage

-Make the Xenon Light Upgrade somewhere along the line for but this is not high on the list as I can see pretty well with the factory setup

-some sort of iPhone Dock, still looking around on this.

I have been reading all the old pages here in reverse I am up to Page 75 from the 200+ that is here.

c0op3r

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Re: Hello everyone

Save money for eventual repairs!

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

The man has owned a Catera before. He knows what to expect without your whining.

Quote Originally Posted by kaustein View Post
    Save money for eventual repairs!
    It is funny, how about half the crowd here like to cry about the high maintenance of the Catera's, it is what it is, I bought the car knowing its a high maintenance car, and don't care, I like the look and feel, and for an 11 year old car it looks great.

Oh and by the way I know how to turn a wrench and do basic trouble shooting, already fixed the Passenger Side Front Windows and am looking for a pass rear windows regulator now, I saw the rebuild kits on eBay but at 45.oo$ to rebuild and 65 to 75 for one from the bone yard i think I will go bone yard.

Car is throwing a check engine code, I wiped it once with the scanner, but it was back to night so i will pull the code and see whats what.

Thanx Elvin!

C0op3r

kaustein is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Don't get me wrong, it was/is a nice driving car and it isn't the maintenance of the vehicle that is disconcerting, it's the reliability of the car.

It was the never-ending repairs, lack of reliability, and things that would go wrong that I had found frustrating. I'm glad that you have the ability to make your needed repairs but others don't. I always found it sort ofs sad reading the post telling of the person who got a good deal on the car, but now have problems.

GM should have acknowledged the car was a piece of crap and pulled it from the market. Nissan did that years ago with a van they made.

I don't know if I would go far enough to say piece of crap, but it is defiantly too high a maintenance factor for any car out there.

Most of the things on mine so far, have been minor.

Ash tray broken would not close -FIXED removed small broken plastic piece that raises the lighter up when opening laying in the bottom preventing it from closing and latching, fix by throwing out the broken piece. I don't smoke and don't need the light to raise up.

Passenger Side Window would not roll down - FIXED, after removing the panel and trouble shooting the entire system turned out to be bad traces on the window switch. fixed buy getting new switch assembly from eBay, had to snipe some other poor sucker that most likely was having the same problem.

Both Emergency Brake and Shift Boot Rotten - Fixed ordered 25$ replace kit from eBay, and installed. Looks great again.

Got Code P0411 the other day - Fixed (maybe) ordered USB to OBDII scanner from China (via eBay) and bought PCMSCAN, to get the code, reset once and it came back, today did research on the forum and read some information, went out and looked around under hood, found Vacuum Line disconnect, so this one is a 'we will see'.

To be fixed Rear Shocks [Leveling] - This one I suspect is a leak in a line someplace, as it lights up when there are several people in the car, then goes to flashing (trouble), going to have to climb under the car and find leak.

Maybe the GM should of called this car the Cadillac Catera eBay Edition instead of the Catera Sport as I will agree with you that you have to be willing to do some work and spend some money.

The up side is that there are not a bunch of these cars everywhere you go, so you have something unique if you can keep it in good shape and running. It reminds me of the old Jaguars where the only real way to keep them running was to put a Chevy 350 in the car. It was so common that they sold kit to drop motor and trans in the car, almost all problems solved.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

You are gonna do pretty much what I did...

A short list goes as follows.

EURO Headlights.
    ASTRA VXR Wheels
    GTO Springs
    Sway bar bushings URETHANE
    GTO Calipers.
    Full catback exhaust
    GTO Rear Spoiler
    OMEGA Side Turn Signals
    Steinmetz Body Kit
    Port/Polish on the Intake and demesh the MAF sensor.

Next up is a big brake kit... < Half figured out.
    Stiffer Springs < No decision yet.
    Adjustable KONI shocks < Waiting Installation
    Side and Rear skirt. < waiting in the mail.
    Then who knows after 200k, either more engine mods or a 3.2L swa with a manual.

http://cateraowners.forumotion.com/

Stwoodworth is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2000 Catera

I know it has been a couple years since you posted about the Catera, but did you have to reset the P0411 code manually using the scanner after fixing the vacuum line? I managed to get everything on the secondary air system functioning normally, but the light won't reset itself.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.