Cant get in the car
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Cant get in the car in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; The key will not open the door sometimes,and the keyless entry will not work,any help would be great...
    Morgan26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

Cant get in the car

The key will not open the door sometimes,and the keyless entry will not work,any help would be great

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

Re: Cant get in the car

cylinder is frozen.. hot water. cause u have an alarm prolly and you HAVE to use the remote or key. In the winter my cylinder gets frozen after I wash it and its cold out.. get a pitcher of hot water and pour it lil at a sime till thaws out.. then to prevent.. take vasoline and smere it over key slot.

Im assuming its frozen.

Morgan26 is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 1997 Catera

thanks,but this thing was HARD to turn key and it wasnt cold out,key would try and open but didnt

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

I've used the thin red tube to inject WD40 into the keyhole. It displaces water and flushes out gunk. Heat the key with a lighter and insert it into the lock. If there is ice the heat will melt it. Not too hot or it will damage the key transponder.

Will the key fob open the trunk? I haven't tried it but it may be possible to enter through the rear bulkhead's pass-through opening. If the center armrest is unlocked you might be able to unlatch the rear seatbacks and crawl inside. Lots of ifs I know but desperate times call for desperate measures. It's that or bust a window.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

I have noticed that after mine was froze up and then freed up I had to play witht he ket to get it to work.. I think it all has to do with water in the key lock.. After i freed it up I smeered vasoline over it.. I have not had a single problem since..

I think I know what you mean about the key being hard to turn.. seems alsmost like there is something misalligned inside right??

libbysman is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): 1997 catera/03 CTS

Hello all, if I might add my 2 cents. I wouldn't recommend you put any spray in your locks unless it's just graphite. Oils and liquids attract dirt and crud. Also, the shop manual and owners book recommend you use the key on the door lock every so often so it won't sieze due to lack of use. Good Luck, Brian

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.