Quick Questions/Help Needed for New Owner
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Quick Questions/Help Needed for New Owner in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Fella's, I just bought an '01 Catera, 1 Owner with only 69,000 miles. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but on any ...
    Lil_Black_Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadilac Catera

Post Quick Questions/Help Needed for New Owner

Fella's,

I just bought an '01 Catera, 1 Owner with only 69,000 miles. I'm pretty mechanically inclined but on any new task/project I like to consult other sources of knowledge. There are a couple minor (I hope) issues that I want some thoughts on (they may or may not be related/connected).

1. The low coolant light is always on, but the resevior is full. - This leades me to believe just a dirty/bad sensor (the car still has Dexcool in it which will be flushed ASAP)
    2. The temperature gauge basically doesn't work. It either is pegged 0 or will randomly jump up to a random temperature and hang out there before going back to 0. - Again, another sensor issue?
    3. The overheat light randomly comes on but not never in direct correlation to the temp gauge's location. - Doubtful it is overheating at 70mph in 5 degree weather but I want to be sure.

Can anyone help direct me to the root cause of these and let me know what is needed as far as 1 sensor, multiple sensors or what other parts would be needed and what is cross compatible with a Saturn part.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

elvin315 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Platinum 2001 Cadillac Catera Sport

Re: Quick Questions/Help Needed for New Owner

1. The low coolant light is always on, but the resevior is full. - This leades me to believe just a dirty/bad sensor (the car still has Dexcool in it which will be flushed ASAP)

Sensor shot. Don't think it's available without tank.

2. The temperature gauge basically doesn't work. It either is pegged 0 or will randomly jump up to a random temperature and hang out there before going back to 0. - Again, another sensor issue?

Pull instrument panel (search: dashboard, instruments). Check/clean connectors.

3. The overheat light randomly comes on but not never in direct correlation to the temp gauge's location. - Doubtful it is overheating at 70mph in 5 degree weather but I want to be sure.

Check for oil in coolant. Look for "mayo" under oil cap. It can plug the radiator. Cause: leaky oil cooler.

Lil_Black_Cadi is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): 2001 Cadilac Catera

Quote Originally Posted by elvin315 View Post

Sensor shot. Don't think it's available without tank.

Pull instrument panel (search: dashboard, instruments). Check/clean connectors.

Check for oil in coolant. Look for "mayo" under oil cap. It can plug the radiator. Cause: leaky oil cooler.
    Thanks for the input. What would be the next area to check (for #2 & #3) if those aren't correct? It being my daily driver and 5* outside; I don't want to dive into the car on my off day to come up empty handed in this weather and not have it fixed come time to go to work again.

hgqguy is offline Cadillac Owners Fanatic
    Automobile(s): catera

It sounds like an engine temp sensor?? maybe?? also knwo that the cateras are know to blow head gaskets.. how about an engine block smoke test??

The car is very old.. so the sensors would be my first plan of attack.. if no oil and coolant mixing.

Good luck! mine has 130K on it.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.