seafoam (too much?)
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, seafoam (too much?) in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; i recently used seafoam in my catera on a long road trip (pa to nc). i put the whole pint ...
    ceehow is offline Cadillac Owners Member
    Automobile(s): None (currently own a Chrysler 200)

Question seafoam (too much?)

i recently used seafoam in my catera on a long road trip (pa to nc). i put the whole pint can in the gas tank about halfway to charlotte when i got gas but when i got off the highway i could tell the engine was running rough and the check engine light was now on. could it be that i just used too much? or could it have messed up the spark plugs?

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

AHazzardToAll is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 1999 Catera Sport

Re: seafoam (too much?)

Change your fuel filter.

CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

I read those cause more harm then good...

Never used one myself, just used synthetic oil every run...

Car drives great, oil is pitch black by 500mi... and blacker then black by mile 6000.... ohh and i need to add a quart at around 4500mark... so idk call my engine old or whatever, i think sea foam may worsen my oil blow by....

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    I read those cause more harm then good...

Never used one myself, just used synthetic oil every run...

Car drives great, oil is pitch black by 500mi... and blacker then black by mile 6000.... ohh and i need to add a quart at around 4500mark... so idk call my engine old or whatever, i think sea foam may worsen my oil blow by....
    Sea foam is a fuel treatment, Never heard of anyone having issues with it. But I never use any fuel additives myself. Just 93oct in my tank

I have heard the seafoam is either used in the fuel or in the intake manifold through a vacuum line.. n then a plume of smoke out of the exhaust...

After that some negative side effects... IDK if i will ever bother with that stuff...

well......i found out what is was......its wasnt the seafoam (i used it as a fuel system cleaner, not in the intake or engine oil like i've read other people doing)......it was cylinder #1 misfiring. i got autozone to check the code for me. i took it to percision auto tune and they told me my ignition coil pack went. so i need that plus the wires plus a tune up which would have come out to be $1250+. i just drove back from nc to pa with the cylinder misfiring.

Submariner409 is offline If it won't run, slap in a big stereo
    Automobile(s): 2002.5 F55 STS/65500mi, 2004 Ford F150 SuperCab4x4

oooppps.....

Quote Originally Posted by CateraMV6 View Post
    I have heard the seafoam is either used in the fuel or in the intake manifold through a vacuum line.. n then a plume of smoke out of the exhaust...

After that some negative side effects... IDK if i will ever bother with that stuff...
    hmmmm, that sounds gross. =/

Quote Originally Posted by ceehow View Post
    well......i found out what is was......its wasnt the seafoam (i used it as a fuel system cleaner, not in the intake or engine oil like i've read other people doing)......it was cylinder #1 misfiring. i got autozone to check the code for me. i took it to percision auto tune and they told me my ignition coil pack went. so i need that plus the wires plus a tune up which would have come out to be $1250+. i just drove back from nc to pa with the cylinder misfiring.
    Do it urself, skip the wires n just do the coil pack 1st, that usually fixes it, shouldn't break the bank with just parts.
    ceehow and ceehow like this.

try rockauto for parts... or even european Ebay... like ebay.co.uk... most times you can get stuff for way less that way...

Maye even try the local junk yard...

retho78 is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): Cadillac

Try advance auto parts online for the coil pack and use coupon code, and then select pick up from store. You'll save a lot of money that way.

i ended up getting the part off ebay for $85 w/ shipping. *fingers crossed* i'm taking it to hill cadillac on monday. i'm thinking about selling this car once i get this fixed. too many headaches for a car with such low miles (55K so far)

i ended up getting the part off ebay for $85 w/ shipping. *fingers crossed* i'm taking it to hill cadillac on monday. i'm thinking about selling this car once i get this fixed. too many headaches for a car with such low miles (55K so far)
    Our 97 was headaches as well, ran well once we got the bugs worked out though. You should snap a few pictures of the interior of yours, it's not too often we see, or even hear about the cat's with the cloth interior. I've seen two run through our local dealers' auction (after going every week for 3 years), but they were both in really poor condition.

Quote Originally Posted by AHazzardToAll View Post
    Our 97 was headaches as well, ran well once we got the bugs worked out though. You should snap a few pictures of the interior of yours, it's not too often we see, or even hear about the cat's with the cloth interior. I've seen two run through our local dealers' auction (after going every week for 3 years), but they were both in really poor condition.
    i thought a good amount of people up here would have seen a catera with the cloth. i'll take a pic over the weekend and post it. i might end up holding on to the car after all.

i thought a good amount of people up here would have seen a catera with the cloth. i'll take a pic over the weekend and post it. i might end up holding on to the car after all.
    The topic has come up a few times through the years in posts such as "holy crap, did i see a catera with cloth seats!?" Cloth seats were an option to keep the base price down to compete with the markets introuductory prices. The majority of the cateras had the leather interrior. Most people like the leather more, but a few (including my sister) like cloth seats better. She says the leather ones get to hot in the summer and burn her legs when she wears shorts. All personal preferance i guess.

dkozloski is offline Cadillac Owners 10000+ Posts
    Automobile(s): 2006 STS V8 AWD, '95 Ford Ranger

Driving a car while it has a misfire will wipe out the CAT.
    Don't mess with Binky Bear!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.