Not a Catera but a recent project I did...
Cadillac

Cadillac Forums | Help Us Help You | Advertise | Cadillac Parts | Cadillac News | Cadillac Classifieds / (Old System)

Cadillac Technical Archive | Cadillac Dealers | Cadillac Reviews | Cadillac Dealer Reviews | Cadillac Vendors

CadillacForums.com is the premier Cadillac Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.
+ Reply to Thread
Cadillac Catera and Cimarron Forum Discussion, Not a Catera but a recent project I did... in Past Cadillac Vehicle Discussion; Well long story short the car has 80,000mi its a 2001 and has the 31TH gearbox... Due to an issue ...
    CateraMV6 is offline Cadillac Owners Connoisseur
    Automobile(s): Opel Omega

Talking Not a Catera but a recent project I did...

Well long story short the car has 80,000mi its a 2001 and has the 31TH gearbox...
    Due to an issue with the torque converter at 30K the dealer had to remove it 3 times rebuild it twice until they figured out that it was a wiring issue...
    Since then the car was never the same... had bumpy shifts etc... well recently the radiator broke and all the water got shoved in the gearbox through the coolant lines... no external leak... so with that I flushed the trans 4 times and never got the fluid to look like new... it was always milky colored even after the 4th fluid swap.

So with that something inside finally gave, car lost 2nd gear... I readjusted the kick-down band and it came back but shortly after it started to make grinding noises and upon the 5th flush I saw a lot of shavings and bits of clutches in the oil pan so it was done...

With that came ebay and my new gear box which cost me 250$ and its from a 1995 Neon which actually has 3.24 final drive rather then the stock 2.89 or 2.98 whichever it was. It also came from a DOHC engine. So its a new stock not rebuild...

Remove and reinstall took 3 hours... and I am happy with the results ..

Here are some pictures.

... car drives like new except its much faster...

THE OLD ONE...

2. Remove Advertisements
    CadillacForums.com
    Advertisements

Re: Not a Catera but a recent project I did...

And the new one...

And my current daily driver...

R-Caddy is offline Cadillac Owners Enthusiast
    Automobile(s): 2 1997 Cateras: black&ocean green

And that car is???...

Ohh my bad... the one with the trans swap is a 2001 Dodge Neon... with a ton of suspension mods!

Quick Reply Quick Reply

Register Now

Please enter the name by which you would like to log-in and be known on this site.
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.

Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.